From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: Mike Gilbert <floppymaster@×××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Gentoo Council Nominations for 2011 to 2012
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2011 19:20:43
1 On 11:23 Fri 10 Jun , Mike Gilbert wrote:
2 > On 6/10/2011 8:48 AM, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
3 > > My kids are finally old enough that I have free time, so I'd also like
4 > > to run for the council again.
5 >
6 > > - getting rid of policies that were created for a single incident,
7 > > because they should only exist for patterns of repeated problems.
10 > Can you elaborate on this? I cannot vote in the election, but I am
11 > curious in any case.
12
13 A common problem in Gentoo is feeling like a one-time problem can't be
14 fixed without making a big policy about it, why it can't be done, what
15 will happen if it's done again, etc. If you've been around Gentoo for a
16 while and start reading through our developer docs, you'll be able to
17 connect a specific name and instance with pretty much every line that
18 says something like "Don't do stupid thing X" and "Don't do ridiculous
19 thing Y."
20
21 I think part of this is rooted in a fear, for lack of a better word, to
22 take personal responsibility for an action; instead, people want a
23 rulebook to point at and say "That's wrong" so the rulebook is the bad
24 guy.
25
26 But rulebooks should only be for the common cases, the patterns, the
27 problems that keep coming up over and over. One-time problems only
28 deserve one-time solutions.
29
30 > Also, I would like to officially nominate dberkholz, in case nobody has
31 > done so yet.
32
33 Yay!
36 Thanks,