From: Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Council discuss: overlapping council terms of two years
Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2011 22:38:13
2 Hash: SHA512
3
4 On 08/02/2011 11:21 PM, Roy Bamford wrote:
5 > On 2011.08.02 22:50, Markos Chandras wrote:
6 >> On 08/02/2011 07:24 PM, Roy Bamford wrote:
7 >>> Team,
8 >>>
9 >>> The trustees are legally accountable and responsible for the
10 >>> operation of the Gentoo Foundation Inc. Some things in the
11 >>> bylaws are there to comply with statutes.
12 >>>
13 >>> The Gentoo council has no legal standing whatsoever, which I
14 >>> have already said (at FOSEDEM) makes me a little nervous as a
15 >>> trustee, since the council makes decisions on behalf of Gentoo
16 >>> that the Foundation would be held both accountable and
17 >>> responsible for.
18 >> There
19 >>> have been no issues with that, yet.
20 >>
21 >> The council is supposed to discuss and decides on technical or
22 >> project wise issues. How can a technical decision violate laws etc?
23 >> I can't think on top of my head an issue that would expose
24 >> Foundation. Can you please provide an example?
25 > Any decision that has copyright, licence, or patent implications
26 > could expose the Foundation. Although, I do agree with Rich0 that the
27 > two bodies have worked well together, so it has not been an issue.
30 >>>
31 >>> Maybe its time to reorganise Gentoo along standard corporate
32 >>> lines again, as it was before drobbins left. If we go in that
33 >>> direction, the council becomes a technical committee that is part
34 >>> of the Foundation. GLEP39 is no longer needed and the Foundation
35 >>> bylaws
36 >> are
37 >>> amended to reflect the new structure.
38 >>
39 >> If we go in that direction, I see no point in having the
40 >> Foundation and the Council as two separate entities. In this case
41 >> it would make much more sense to merge them.
42 >
43 > Division of responsibilities is important, in the business world, its
44 > essential, and the Foundation is first and foremost a business, even
45 > if its directors and officers are not paid. The Foundation does not
46 > get any special treatment from the state of New Mexico, nor the IRS
47 > and friends.
48 The Council and the Foundation already have different responsibilities.
51 > It would be unethical if the council could vote funds for a council
52 > devised project. Likewise, trustees need business administration
53 > skills rather than technical skills and should not determine the
54 > technical direction of Gentoo.
55 Agreed. But this is the kind of structure we have at the moment isn't it?
56 >
57 > I'm suggesting that the informal interdependencies that are present
58 > between the council and the foundation be formalised along the lines
59 > of a standard corporation.
60
61 This is the part that I don't understand. Could you please explain that
62 and/or provide a layout of the new organizational structure that you
63 propose?
64 >
65 >> I don't quite like the idea though.
66 > Would you care to expand on that?
67 >
68 Mainly because I fail to understand the changes you propose and because
69 I am quite happy with the way things are at the moment.
70
71 - --
72 Regards,
73 Markos Chandras / Gentoo Linux Developer / Key ID: B4AFF2C2