From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Gentoo now has a Github "organization"
Date: Mon, 21 May 2012 15:04:57
On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 7:58 AM, Ultrabug <ultrabug@g.o> wrote:
> It also may be interesting to use the github workflow with > proxy-maintainers (which might also make the proxy-maintainers project > even more visible) ? >
Tend to agree, although a big liability will be the fact that we're still not on git ourselves. So, to be useful that github tree would to get regular cvs updates incorporated, and then any content would need to be manually moved over. The trees would be constantly slightly out of sync - what happens if somebody commits a fix without a revbump to git and then the cvs tree refreshes git not showing the change, and so on? I guess for proxy-maintained packages we could just consider the git-tree "official" and do all forward work there without publishing cvs changes automatically. Then cvs updates are just manual copies when things are good in the git tree. However, the second somebody comes along with some library package move or other tree-wide change they're going to make things out of sync unless they know to go update git. Seems like overlays are the best candidate for a place to start since they largely use git already. Maybe this is just one more reason to get the main tree onto git as well... Rich