From: Marien Zwart <marienz@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Gentoo Council 2012/2013 election
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2012 00:03:14
(hope this threads ok, I'm playing games with my mail setup).

After some hesitation I'll accept my council nomination. Apparently
you're supposed to come up with some kind of manifesto, or at least
that's what everyone else does. I doubt I'm any good at those, but
here goes:

- Gentoo developer are pretty awesome, and should be kept well fed and
  happy so they can go on improving Gentoo.

- Trying to get open source developers to do what you want is like
  herding cats. The council should only try this if it absolutely must.

  The council may need to pick between mutually incompatible proposals,
  or push for a more backwards-compatible way of doing something
  drastic, but situations where there's a "global issue" (quote GLEP 39)
  with someone willing and able to do the work that's actually bad for
  Gentoo should not be making it anywhere near the council. Council
  intervention may sometimes be necessary to make sure changes made by
  one project do not break another project, but the focus should be on
  getting the right people talking to each other so they can work out a
  solution (or coexisting solutions), rather than having the council
  veto or push through some idea.

- What I won't bring to the council is a desire to bring a particular
  feature to Gentoo, or keep a particular change out. I'll just try to
  keep all the projects and people that form Gentoo working together, as
  they're the ones doing all the hard work and directly controlling
  where we go.

Keep up the good work,

--
Marien Zwart.