From: Thomas Sachau <tommy@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Should DevRel members be in Council?
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2011 13:15:08
Markos Chandras schrieb:
> On 08/14/2011 01:19 PM, Thomas Sachau wrote: >> Markos Chandras schrieb: >>> Hi, >>> >>> This is the second item I would like to discuss for the next >>> Council agenda ( or a later one ) >>> >>> Quite a few of you know that Council acts as a court in case a >>> developer has unresolved disputes with Devrel or when he is not >>> happy with a Devrel's decision. The problem is that having the same >>> people in the Council and in Devrel makes no sense since the same >>> people will vote twice on that matter. A developer who wants to >>> appeal to Council, seeks a review of his case and a fresh voting >>> from new people. However, having devrel members, which are already >>> biased based on the previous decision, makes the "Council's court >>> role" a moot role :) > >> I have to ask the same here as for the other proposal: > >> Why do you restrict your proposal to a specific project? The issue >> you are pointing at is the same for any other project, where someone >> does open an appeal to council to vote on a team decision he does not >> want to accept. > > I don't follow. I thought disputes were handled this way > > 1) Contact the guy and resolve the issue with him without bothering the > rest of team members > 2) Ask team lead > 3) Ask devrel > 4) Ask Council > > There is no way to go from 2->4 without devrel's involvement.
So lets try with an example: A dev wants to join the Sunrise project and i as the lead say no to him. This means, both 1 and 2 are already done, 3 does not seem reasonable to me, since it looks unlikely to me, that DevRel could/should force a team to accept a new member, which would end with the last point. And if both sides keep their point, council could either force his addition, which will usually mean, that the team lead leaves or accept the decision of the team lead.