From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Call for agenda items -- Council meeting 2012-06-12
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2012 12:02:42
1 >>>>> On Sun, 03 Jun 2012, Samuli Suominen wrote:
2 >>> this one is what I'm really after for:
3 >>
4 >>> default for src_install() in EAPI=5 should accept "$@" in correct place
5 >>> to avoid usage of EXTRA_EMAKE within ebuilds/eclasses and to avoid
6 >>> duplicating the Portage code for DOCS.
7 >>> NOTE: When this was last voted on for EAPI=3, we didn't have this DOCS
8 >>> handling, and this wasn't important yet.
9 >>
10 >>> emake DESTDIR="${D}" "$@" install
11 >>
12 >> Again, this could be called directly, which has the advantage that it
13 >> makes it obvious that src_install isn't the default.
14
15 > The difference is working the tree when you have to alter ebuilds which
16 > have been written like:
17
18 > DOCS=( AUTHORS README.NOW "${FILESDIR}"/README.Gentoo )
19
20 > src_install() {
21 > default
22
23 > echo "Some command here."
24 > }
25
26 > At this point you have to move content of DOCS which may or may not
27 > rely on the ""quoting with array"". Remove the call to default. And
28 > then duplicate the EAPI=4 default into the ebuild.
29
30 Why would you have to copy the EAPI 4 src_install code? Apart from
31 emake, you only need the single line:
32 dodoc AUTHORS README.NOW "${FILESDIR}"/README.Gentoo
33 or
34 dodoc "${DOCS[@]}"
35 if you want to keep the variable.
36