From: desultory <desultory@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o, Thomas Deutschmann <whissi@g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-project] Re: Shutting down the Off the Wall
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2020 07:36:57
1 On 12/11/20 16:23, Thomas Deutschmann wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > The topic has been discussed extensively in the past few weeks; The sad
5 > climax was last Tuesday. At this point I will not look back anymore.
6 > Maybe all of us could have done a better job but whataboutism doesn�t
7 > help anyone. Let's try to focus on a possible solution.
8 >
9 > To recall the problem:
10 > On November 7th, Gentoo forum member "Old School" named another human
11 > being a slut (https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-8526392.html#8526392).
12 >
13 Council then claimed primary enforcement responsibility regarding that
14 post.
15
16 Council has since exercised that responsibility by doing precisely
17 nothing in regard to that post, not even inquiring with forum moderators
18 regarding what action would have been taken were they free to act in
19 response to it.
20
21 Council, upon being informed (again) that it was possible to make the
22 entire section in which that post was made visible only to logged in
23 users, voted to do so, again avoiding doing anything about the supposed
24 matter at hand.
25
26 Council has, as a whole, since effectively demanded that the forums be
27 proactively moderated in their entirety while ignoring that moderation
28 is driven by reporting problems to moderators.
29
30 > This is a violation of Gentoo's code of conduct where we explicit state
31 > that "posting messages that are deliberately hostile and insulting" are
32 > unacceptable behaviors
33 > (https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Council/Code_of_conduct).
34 >
35 > This is not about free speech. Gentoo is primary a Linux distribution,
36 > not a discussion platform. This is about us who defined once how we want
37 > to treat each other in the Gentoo community and everyone participating
38 > must adhere to our code of conduct. It�s that simple.
39 >
40 > I expect that everyone in Gentoo, including forum moderators, agree on
41 > that.
42 >
43 > What does that mean for the forum?
44 >
45 > From my point of view, the following things must change:
46 >
47 > 1) We must finally migrate the forum's software. The new software should
48 > give us new possibilities like introducing a warning system and move to
49 > a reporting system which doesn't require posting in a public forum. This
50 > should make life for moderators a lot easier like nobody is expecting
51 > that moderators will read every posting. But once we get aware of a code
52 > of conduct violation, we must take action.
53 >
54 I agree that the software should be updated once it is ready.
55
56 Warnings already exist, and have since well before I joined the project
57 over a decade ago.
58
59 Making all reports private is largely irrelevant, if there is a reason
60 to make a report in private any moderator can be reached via private
61 messaging or the team as a whole or in part can be reached via e-mail.
62 Indeed having public reports allows users to respond to complaints
63 against them, this has at times removed the need for moderator action.
64
65 Once a violation of any of the forum rules is reported, including the
66 CoC, action is taken as deemed fit. In this particular case the council
67 claimed that responsibility for itself and to be frank has botched the
68 role rather terribly, not even following its own procedures much less
69 those of the forums.
70
71 > 2) Moderators must of course moderate a bit more, at least for the next
72 > three months until everyone in the community has understood that Gentoo
73 > should be a place where everyone should feel welcome and where we pay
74 > attention how we treat each other. I am expecting that not more than 20
75 > people will have a problem with our rules but consistently applied rules
76 > should either lead to changes in behavior or result in bans after a
77 > short time.
78 >
79 Moderation is largely driven by reporting problem posts, and is thus
80 largely contingent upon the users. Given that the council member who
81 first complained about the post in question is rather obviously a Gentoo
82 developer and thus has an e-mail account, has an account on the forums,
83 and has an account on freenode, he has access to literally every
84 canonical manner of reporting a post, but instead chose to engage in
85 this farce. Thus at least one user was deliberately acting against that
86 goal, and that user is to vote on the matter in the council meeting.
87
88 Asking moderators to handle reports is perfectly normal, arguably it is
89 largely the point of even having moderators. Making a complaint that
90 they are held to not be free to handle as they would any other report
91 and holding up inaction on that complaint as evidence of anything other
92 than tampering with their functions and abilities is pointedly absurd.
93
94 > 3) We should consider starting with a new, empty, OTW forum. Some old
95 > content like the screenshot or Christmas thread can (and should) of
96 > course be preserved.
97 >
98 In that case, at least for a time, the existing Off the Wall would need
99 to remain, even if not visible to the public and not writable to users,
100 in order to facilitate harvesting of content deemed worthy of retention.
101
102 > Like said, these are only the things which I believe have to change. I
103 > am looking forward for other opinions, especially from current forums
104 > moderators how they believe that the problem should be resolved.
105 >
106 > If the situation will not change and forum remains a place where our
107 > code of conduct will be ignored, we will have no choice but to close it.
108 >
109 > Let's work together to solve the problem and keep the forum open! Don�t
110 > let less than 20 people who don't share our values take our forum away
111 > from us!