From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] [RFC] OpenPGP Authority Keys to provide validity of developer/service keys
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2019 17:08:52
1 On Sat, 2019-02-23 at 11:30 -0500, Alec Warner wrote:
2 > On Sat, Feb 23, 2019 at 2:46 AM Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
3 >
4 > > On Tue, 2019-02-19 at 15:16 -0500, Rich Freeman wrote:
5 > > > Also, as far as I'm aware GLEP 63 does not require an encryption key
6 > > > at all, just a signing key. I'm not sure if such signing-keys will be
7 > > > signed by Gentoo under this proposal. If not then there is nothing to
8 > > > upload to the keyserver, and in any case it seems like the main use
9 > > > case of this (sending encrypted email) would not apply. Of course it
10 > > > could still be used for verifying email signatures if we sign
11 > > > signing-only keys.
12 > >
13 > > If someone really believes it's fine to have no encryption subkey just
14 > > because the GLEP doesn't require one explicitly... It either means that
15 > > person is seriously lacking the technical competence, or is a horrible
16 > > troll. In either case, I don't believe such a person should be a Gentoo
17 > > developer.
20 > - Why does setting up GPG to receive encrypted messages imply technical
21 > competence?
22
23 The default GnuPG setup involves supporting encryption. In order not to
24 support encryption, you have to actually go out of your way to create
25 signing-only setup which makes no sense.
26
27 > - As rich noted, most people have no idea how GPG works and they just do
28 > whatever they are instructed to do. I don't think a lack of knowledge of
29 > GPG indicates "being a troll" nor "lack of technical competence." Its a
30 > terribly designed piece of software from a usability perspective. I
31 > understand its a complex space (as many security domains are) but I'm not
32 > sure the right way to proceed is to force everyone to learn the inner
33 > workings of the space. The goal should be to create a system where users
34 > don't have to know all the details but still get a good security value.
37 The question is: how can you actually guarantee that users that don't
38 understand OpenPGP/GnuPG basics can actually comprehend the basic
39 necessities of keeping their key secure? Next thing I learn is that
40 people are not protecting their keys with password because
41 the instructions didn't say they had to. And GnuPG *only warned*.
44 Best regards,
45 Michał Górny