From: Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2014-03-11
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2014 15:58:55
1 On 28/02/14 17:34, Anthony G. Basile wrote:
2 > On 02/28/2014 06:15 AM, Patrick Lauer wrote:
3 >> On 02/27/2014 09:08 PM, Anthony G. Basile wrote:
4 >>> Hi everyone,
5 >>>
6 >>> I'm putting the call out there for any agenda items for the next
7 >>> Council
8 >>> meeting, which will be held on March 11, 2014 at 1900 UTC. This is
9 >>> short notice but we got off track because of FOSDEM and we're going to
10 >>> try to get back on track.
11 >>>
12 >>> So far, the only item is final ratification of glep 63 [1].
13 >> Since it's still a bit cold I'd like to start a nice fire to warm us up:
14 >>
15 >> I'd like QA and Council to figure out how much we care about FHS.
16 >>
17 >> My main complaint is some projects (including e.g. systemd and
18 >> apparently now also udev) storing config files in /lib and/or /usr/lib.
19 >>
20 >> From FHS' point of view this is totally wrong, config files go to /etc
21 >> Only libraries should be in /lib.
22 >> Moving things to /usr/lib adds the extra fun that /usr needs to be
23 >> mounted to acces *config files*. This is bad for our collective blood
24 >> pressure.
25 >>
26 >> So I'd like to see config files stored in /etc again. Where they can be
27 >> properly tracked and versioned ...
28 >>
29 >> (iow, storing config files in any other location than /etc is wrong;
30 >> storing example configs in e.g. /usr/share is fine too; storing config
31 >> in any other place is a valid bug that needs to be fixed)
32 >>
33 >> For upstreams that insist on splitting configs in "system default" and
34 >> "local override" (which is rather nonsensical, but let them have some
35 >> fun) I would suggest a subfolder of /etc, maybe /etc/defaults or
36 >> /etc/systemdefaults or maybe /etc/lib/etc/usr/static if that's what
37 >> makes people happy
40 >> Enjoy the exothermic oxidation,
41 >>
42 >> Patrick
45 > Speaking as a council member and the next chair: Patrick, how would
46 > you pose this as a motion? As stated, the council should "discuss
47 > FHS" but how would you word this as a policy that we can rule on? I
48 > have an idea but would like to hear what you want.
49 >
50 > Speaking as a gentoo dev: This is one of my objections with systemd
51 > and the whole / + /usr merge. It violates a standard which is assumed
52 > in many setups, namely FHS. Another is that systemd violates the "one
53 > thing well" principle.
56 That isn't true; systemd has dozens of sep. executables and each of them
57 do one'ish task, and do it well. The one running in PID 1 has very
58 little to do with them.
59 So by your definition, it completely follows the "one thing well" principle.
60 Futher, 'assumed in many setups', / + /usr, from which hat you pulled
61 that rabbit out of? Merging the directories would propably bring in
62 better compability, as
63 it wouldnt matter anymore if something is hardcoding /bin/foo or
64 /usr/bin/foo or even /usr/sbin/foo.
65
66 I'd like the council to stick to facts when discussing the topic,
67 please. And remember, I'm not anykind of pro-systemd advocate, AT ALL.
68
69 And sorry for jumping in on the thread, but I couldn't help it, when
70 people spread these things.