From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: reopening gentoo-council
Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2011 00:35:33
1 >>>>> On Mon, 01 Aug 2011, Jorge Manuel B S Vicetto wrote:
2 > On 01-08-2011 21:02, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
3 >> gentoo-dev, -project, -dev-announce ... this would mean that we
4 >> split discussions between three mailing lists at least. (Probably
5 >> more, for example PMS/EAPI related stuff should be discussed on
6 >> gentoo-pms then.)
7
8 >> That's too complicated for my simple mind.
9
10 > Unfortunately you can't prevent it. You won't be able to force
11 > people to use gentoo-council to discuss any technical issues that
12 > have always been discussed on the gentoo-dev ml because it's simpler
13 > for the council members.
14
15 Technical discussions started on -dev could stay there, of course.
16 Generally, trying to move a thread from one mailing list to another
17 won't work (and only lead to a discussion split between both lists).
18
19 The point is that the current scheme does not really work and we end
20 up discussing technical issues on -project where they are off-topic.
21 Two examples from today are the sub-threads about "signed commits" [1]
22 and "optional runtime dependencies" [2].
23
24 Ulrich
25
26 [1] <http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-project/msg_cb85cb70b49c12b6194f972dbc7fbcdb.xml>