From: Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Council discuss: overlapping council terms of two years
Date: Sat, 06 Aug 2011 10:01:07
2 Hash: SHA512
3
4 On 08/06/2011 04:11 AM, Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto wrote:
5 > On 05-08-2011 18:43, Markos Chandras wrote:
6 >> On 08/05/2011 07:36 PM, Matt Turner wrote:
7 >>> On Fri, Aug 5, 2011 at 12:32 PM, Patrick Lauer
8 >>> <patrick@g.o> wrote:
9 >>>> So if you think slacking arches are a problem ... aquire a
10 >>>> Mips or Sparc or whatever machine and get cracking.
11 >
12 >>> Thank you. Yes, please do this.
13 >
14 >>> I don't mean to go off topic, but every time I see a complaint
15 >>> about "slacking arches" I wonder if the person realized that
16 >>> almost all of the "slacking arch" teams are run almost entirely
17 >>> by a single person, armin76.
18 >
19 >>> Take a look at the number of commits that he has and then
20 >>> complain about slacking.
21 >
22 >> What are you talking about? Did I ever blame Armin76? Do you think
23 >> that having a single person doing all the commits can justify your
24 >> argument? A single person doing commits 24/7 is not a proof that
25 >> an arch is in a good state. You have totally missed the point
26 >> here.
27 >
28 > Markos,
29 >
30 > I'm sorry, but in my view, you and others have completely missed the
31 > point when you ignore the issue with man power and resources to do
32 > arch work or the relevance of it and focus only on "punishing"
33 > "slacking arches". Having Raúl as the single or the de-facto single
34 > maintainer for an arch is something that should worry us, but not to
35 > call such an arch "slacking" or, worse, "dead".
36
37 Oh come on Jorge. You know what I mean by slacking arches. I am not
38 talking about punishing them. Maybe drop stable keywords or drop keyword
39 from X package and shrink their tree so they can keep up with the load.
40
41 > One of the issues with the "slacking arches" topic is that people
42 > tend to associate it with mips, alpha, sparc or some of the other
43 > "exotic" arches. However, in one of the iterations about this topic,
44 > someone put forth numbers that showed that amd64 was at the time one
45 > of the worst "slacking arches".
46 I did that but things got slightly better since then.
47
48 > This should be the arch more developers use daily and is likely the
49 > one with more members (herd count). Also, one should remember the
50 > time it takes to compile, test or debug an issue in a recent amd64
51 > system or an old / slow box with an "exotic arch" varies
52 > substantially. Not to mention that the amount of testing done on
53 > "exotic arches" varies substantially between projects.
54 I am aware of the problems and this is way I want a solution.
55 >
56 > In the last council, I've took the job of promoting some email
57 > threads between arch teams, the council, trustees and infra to see
58 > what we could do about it. Some of the issues were then opened on the
59 > project ml. You are correct that there wasn't a "quick", "final" or
60 > even "conclusive" decision, but I'll argue that we needed more debate
61 > - including more interest and participation from the community. I do
62 > think we had a good discussion.
63 Yes, we discussed what was needed etc but I don't really think that
64 anything changed since them. If not, then I apologize
65
66 > If the argument in the end boils down to how many arches Gentoo
67 > supports and about leaving support for some arches or killing it so
68 > that maintainers aren't "bogged down" by arches, I'll support arches
69 > over maintainers.
70 >
71 I never said to completely drop these arches. When did I say that? I
72 just want a more realistic approach on how well an arch is supported.
73 Why you people are afraid to admit that we have problems? Having an arch
74 with constantly >200 stabilization bugs open clearly proves that the
75 manpower cannot handle the situation.
76
77 ps: ++ to Raúl for his work. I hope he wont fed up with that in the
78 future :)
79
80 - --
81 Regards,
82 Markos Chandras / Gentoo Linux Developer / Key ID: B4AFF2C2