From: "Sam Jorna (wraeth)" <wraeth@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-project] How do you feel about non-contributing developers with commit access?
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2018 01:11:28
1 On 3/11/18 2:05 am, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > The Undertakers team has frequently received various forms of
5 > 'criticism' of their effort in attempting to find and retire inactive
6 > developers. This is getting as far as to claim that we shouldn't retire
7 > anyone because there are no limits on commit slots.
8 >
9 > Therefore, I would like to ask the wider community a general question:
10 > how do you feel about preserving commit access for people who no longer
11 > actively commit to Gentoo? I'm talking about extreme cases, say,
12 > no commits to any user-visible repository for over a year.
13
14 Hello.
15
16 I'd like to suggest that developers be allowed to retain commit
17 privileges until and unless they are unresponsive to status queries or
18 have demonstrated some kind of negative intent.
19
20 I understand the concern of allowing commit access to persist for AWOL
21 contributors, but for those with low commit frequency it's effectively
22 saying "your volunteer contributions aren't enough".
23
24 For myself, due to various factors my time for productive commit
25 development is severely limited, but as I only maintain a couple of
26 packages which, to my knowledge, don't have any issues, removing commit
27 access just means those that I do maintain become orphaned, and when I
28 do get time to work on something I have to work through GitHub or
29 Bugzilla, increasing work for whichever developer is kind enough to
30 facilitate my contribution. I am, however, able to be reached quickly,
31 and responsive to queries.
32
33 If a developer is present, is not neglecting anything they maintain, has
34 not demonstrated any malicious intent, and is offering to spend what
35 time they can on contributions when they have the time to ensure they
36 don't break anything, why stop them?
37
38 Thanks;
39 --