From: Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2012-04-03
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2012 12:02:34
1 El mar, 20-03-2012 a las 07:48 +0100, Ulrich Mueller escribió:
2 > In two weeks from now, the council will meet again. This is the time
3 > to raise and prepare items that the council should put on the agenda
4 > to discuss or vote on.
5 >
6 > Please respond to this email with agenda items. Please do not
7 > hestitate to repeat your agenda item here with a pointer if you
8 > previously suggested one (since the last meeting).
9 >
10 > The agenda for the next meeting will be sent out on Tuesday 27th
11 > of March 2012.
12 >
13 > Please respond to the gentoo-project list, if possible.
14 >
15 > Ulrich
19 I would like to see this suggestion discussed if possible:
20 About making herds.xml addition mandatory for devs when adding to mail
21 alias
22
23 Currently, looks like there are developers that add them to mail aliases
24 for "zombie" herds (herds that are empty and unmaintained usually) but
25 don't want to add them to herds.xml because they prefer to not be
26 considered as officially being part of that hers. This causes that herds
27 to be not maintained very actively as we rely on that "hidden"
28 maintainer having enough time to take care of *all* packages included in
29 that herd. The situation is, then, like a "pseudo-unmaintained" herd as
30 bugs are still assigned to that alias and get out of radar of
31 maintainer-needed alias (that includes people wanting to help with that
32 unmaintained packages, trying to find maintainers or proxy-maintainers
33 for them or removing them is needed) and we depend on that dev added to
34 mail alias to take care of them, this is also problematic when dev
35 decides to drop him from alias getting herd totally unmaintained without
36 any notice to gentoo-dev ML.
37
38 Since there is no need to stay in the herd some prefixed time, I see no
39 reason to allow developers to be in mail aliases without adding them to
40 herds.xml, and this allows others to "easily" review herds.xml looking
41 for empty herds.
42
43 Thanks a lot