From: Jeff Horelick <jdhore@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] changing the default of ACCEPT_LICENSE in portage
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2013 15:26:02
1 On 31 July 2013 11:18, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 7:50 AM, hasufell <hasufell@g.o> wrote:
3 >> On 07/31/2013 01:46 PM, Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
4 >>>
5 >>> We're not Debian, and that is a good thing™.
6 >>>
7 >>
8 >> You miss the point. This thread is not about banning ebuilds which let
9 >> you install unfree software.
12 > You're thinking of gNewSense, or one of the 47 distros on the FSF
13 > webpage that nobody has heard about. :)
14 >
15 > I won't throw in my own two sense. Personally, I'm on the fence here.
16 > I think this is a matter of values and largely boils down to ESR vs
17 > RMS to some extent. I would say that those who want to make a change
18 > probably have the burden of justifying the change. You don't need to
19 > explain your rationale - you've already done a great job with that. I
20 > think the bigger hurdle is whether the community buys in, though this
21 > will only impact new users.
22 >
23 > If there were some easy way to take a poll it might be interesting to
24 > see the results. Dare I suggest a forum post?
25 >
26 > To be constructive, I think I'll try building a desktop in a VM and
27 > just see what the day-to-day impact of your proposal actually is.
28 > Nvidia drivers really only come to mind as the biggest stumbling block
29 > for most - the days of proprietary codecs and such are mostly behind
30 > us I think. Those who oppose the change might point out specific
31 > "killer apps" that this gets in the way of.
32 >
33 > Rich
36 I think the biggest hurdle for most users will not be nVidia drivers
37 or anything like that, but firmware. Be it for audio cards, ethernet
38 cards, wifi cards or whatnot. Not to mention, the kernel, with -deblob
39 is under the freedist license which is not in the @FREE group.