From: Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Council discuss: overlapping council terms of two years
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2011 11:01:53
2 Hash: SHA512
3
4 On 08/05/2011 11:49 AM, Fabian Groffen wrote:
5 > On 05-08-2011 11:33:52 +0100, Markos Chandras wrote:
6 >>> A smaller committee for a chief technical officer fits better
7 >>> into a normal corporate structure. A smaller council could form
8 >>> special interest groups to address individual problems so nothing
9 >>> would be lost from the reduced numbers.
10 >>>
11 >> FWIW, I support Donnie's idea. I would like to see a smaller and
12 >> more flexible Council which could assign tasks to interested
13 >> parties. Right now, it takes 3-4 months (that is 3-4 meetings) for
14 >> a Council to decide things and make substantial progress where
15 >> other distributions are moving faster by having a single developer
16 >> or a small group leading the project. In my point of view, we need
17 >> to consider a fundamental change to our organizational structure.
18 >> Roy's ideas are very interesting, however we need to decide on an
19 >> abstract design before we dig into the details.
20 >
21 > You really don't think the effectiveness of Council meetings should
22 > be improved, instead of just reducing the number of members and
23 > responsibilties, such that just one person is responsible for a
24 > decision?
27 This is possible up to a point. But having 7 people around makes it hard
28 to maintain an effectiveness/short meeting ratio. In this case, things
29 have to be discussed (and possibly decided) in advanced.
30
31 > I am against the idea of having single people being able to easily
32 > make (possibly totally unfunded) decisions that affect Gentoo full
33 > project wide.
34 >
35 I wonder why this works so well for other distros.
36
37 > On the other hand, Council members should discuss much more on
38 > lists, prior to meetings, ultimately resolving/deciding issues
39 > already before any meeting takes place. I see no direct need for
40 > centralised meetings at all to discuss on many topics. Voting could
41 > happen on a ML as good as on IRC.
44 I agree. The discussion should start on the next day of the meeting and
45 not one week before the next one.
46
47 - --
48 Regards,
49 Markos Chandras / Gentoo Linux Developer / Key ID: B4AFF2C2