From: "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Council nominations
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2013 17:21:43
1 Am Sonntag, 16. Juni 2013, 13:24:33 schrieb Agostino Sarubbo:
2 > I'm using the same thread, I'd like to nominate:
3 >
4 [...]
5 > dilfridge
6
7 Thank you, I accept.
8
9 As for a manifesto....
10
11 1) Let me quote GLEP 39: "If the council does a lousy job handling global
12 issues (or has no global vision), vote out the bums." Note that this talks
13 about a "global vision"? That's actually right now what Gentoo is missing
14 most. I'm not claiming that I alone will provide it, but I am convinced that
15 it's the Council's job to collectively do that.
16
17 1a) Consequence: the council should do more than just handing down decisions
18 on stone tablets from the mountain. I suggest we add something else that the
19 council can vote on, along the lines of a "policy recommendation". Here's an
20 example for such a recommendation, see also below: "With respect to adding
21 systemd unit files, maintainers should not refuse to cooperate as long as
22 someone volunteers to do the resulting work." Since this is a recommendation,
23 developers are free to ignore it. However, it would make the viewpoint of Your
24 Elected Council clear, and the topic may be revisited if necessary at the next
25 month's meeting for drafting up some stone tablets.
26
27 1b) Consequence: even if the council is a reactive body, since any developer
28 can bring issues before the council, I will be happy to do so whenever I see
29 fit, and I hope my prospective council colleagues will do the same.
30
31 1c) Consequence: in my opinion, the council has far too often "decided not to
32 decide anything" in the past.
33
34 2) I do NOT see Gentoo's primary purpose as a "metadistribution". That's just
35 a way of saying "we can't be bothered to work together". We are able to
36 provide a great distribution to our users without the additional help of
37 Funtoo, Pentoo, Sabayon, ...
38 Of course, we should continue cooperation and good working relationship with
39 our "downstreams", but that's not an excuse for NOT fixing things in Gentoo
40 itself.
41
42 3) I am not using systemd, zfs, or paludis. I'm even trying to avoid nepomuk
43 and akonadi. Nevertheless, as you all know, Gentoo is about choice! So, as
44 long as this does not inflict undue efforts, we should all try hard to
45 cooperate with other developers contributing to Gentoo, even if their projects
46 seem a bit odd to us. Our users deserve maximum flexibility and the offer of
47 bleeding-edge software. (The entire discussion about adding unit files to
48 packages or about how to get rid of them in the installation if not needed is
49 in my opinion just plain ridiculous.) Which gets me to...
50
51 4) Please remember. We're talking about a Linux distribution. This has - in
52 terms of organization - more in common with a company than with a religion!
53 (Which also means that if you try to burn someone at the stake you'll get
54 kicked out fast. As a consequence...)
55
56 5a) I fully support Markos' initiative to get devrel on track and more active
57 again. We *must* get away from the current abrasive culture.
58
59 5b) I wish we had a similar resurrection initiative for QA. Any volunteers?
60
61 6) I have recently volunteered to become part of devrel. Should I be elected
62 as council member, then I will let that activity rest until the end of my
63 council term. Not because I see a conflict of interests, but because I just
64 don't have the time for both.
65
66 Let me quote Rick's manifesto at the end,
67
68 "No one pays me to work on gentoo, I'm not a software developer (etc) by
69 trade, I'm here on my own because I love gentoo and I want to see it
70 improve, and I believe everyone who reads the mailing lists will agree
71 there is a lot of room for that improvement at this time."
72
73 Cheers!
74 Andreas
77 Dr. Andreas K. Huettel
78 Institute for Experimental and Applied Physics
79 University of Regensburg
80 D-93040 Regensburg
81 Germany
82