From: "PaweĊ‚ Hajdan
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Maintainer for Compiz?
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2012 09:03:31
On 2/23/12 12:03 AM, Chandler Paul wrote:
> Hello, I've asked this question around in the IRC, and I've done a > bit of Googling, but I haven't been able to find anything on this, > so I hope that this is the correct place to ask.
I think that technically gentoo-dev would be better, but I think this doesn't require much discussion. More details below.
> Apparently, the Compiz-fusion package is masked because it lacks a > maintainer. However, from what it looks like it's not a proxied > maintainer, as it's not on the list.
Correct.
> I was thinking of stepping up to be a maintainer for it, but I'm > assuming that would mean writing patches for it.
Sort of, fixing bugs reported to Gentoo to be more precise.
> I do have a relatively OK understanding of C and C++, but I don't > know if it would be good enough to be able to write patches for it. > So, I guess what I'm asking is what exactly would maintaining the > package entail, and how would I go about becoming a maintainer?
Submit fixes for the bugs reported to Gentoo. It's not like "I want to be a maintainer, and I'll see if I'll be able", but rather "I submitted 10 good patches, now can I be listed as the maintainer". You don't need to have any "formal status" to submit patches for the ebuilds (not all of them have to deal with C or C++).
> Also, I really hope this isn't the wrong place to ask, as I didn't > go straight to here before doing some research, hopefully it isn't > though...
I recommend gentoo-dev, just when you have some more _specific_ questions. Try to fix a particular bug or issue, and ask if you have some trouble (just do your homework first, e.g. read the devmanual).