From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>, trustees <trustees@g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-project] Re: Bad license and attribution by ChromiumOS and CoreOS
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2015 00:37:20
1 On Sat, Mar 7, 2015 at 11:11 AM, Alec Warner <antarus@g.o> wrote:
5 > On Fri, Mar 6, 2015 at 6:22 PM, Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o> wrote:
6 >
7 >> Good $timezonegreeting,
8 >>
9 >> The README at both
10 >>
11 >> https://github.com/coreos/portage-stable
12 >> and
13 >>
14 >> https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromiumos/overlays/portage-stable/+/master/README
15 >>
16 >> claims that:
17 >>
18 >> """
19 >> Copyright (c) 2011 The Chromium OS Authors. All rights reserved.
20 >> Use of this source code is governed by a BSD-style license that can be
21 >> found in the LICENSE file.
22 >> """
23 >>
24 >> Since this is a copy of Gentoo ebuilds this is demonstrably wrong, the
25 >> copyrights on the files themselves are intact. Copyright is obviously
26 >> Gentoo Foundation, and license is GPL-2.
27 >>
28 >> I have been unable to find a proper contact for both repositories, so I
29 >> hope people that know who to contact are reading this.
32 > I will let the correct people at Google know.
35 Just for the record I'm not on gentoo-project, so if you don't reply to the
36 trustees I will never see it. In any case, someone requested an update; and
37 the update is that I have been busy at work (we just launched Google Cloud
38 Storage Nearline, yay!). Luckily Mike picked up my slack and contacted the
39 appropriate people and this is in-progress. Thanks Mike!
40
41 -A
44 > -A
48 >> Once this is corrected I'd strongly suggest to both downstreams to poste
49 >> a prominent notice to inform all downstream users of this issue to avoid
50 >> accidental license violations.
53 >> Have fun,
54 >>
55 >> Patrick