From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Some focus for Gentoo
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2015 04:24:22
1 On 17:38 Wed 14 Jan , Daniel Campbell wrote:
2 > I'm not a developer, but I am interested in becoming one. That said, I
3 > don't understand why relevance or focus are important. Is Gentoo not a
4 > distribution made by people who feel that Gentoo meets their needs and
5 > (for those who contribute) want to improve it? One of the core values
6 > of Gentoo is the concept of choice. Without choice, none of the three
7 > things you listed on the blog post are possible.
8
9 Daniel,
10
11 Thanks for your comments. Gentoo has been about choice where it makes
12 sense and is pragmatic — not about choice for the sake of choice. This
13 subtlety is often lost through the mists of time. But it drives other
14 key tenets of Gentoo like packaging proprietary software, and all the
15 weird restrictions that enable you to package things that can't be
16 mirrored, etc.
17
18 Here's one way to think of my proposal. Imagine a REST API. The provider
19 of that API might also have a few SDKs for some popular languages or
20 frameworks, along with documentation to make it really easy for them.
21 But *the REST API is still there*, usable by anyone in any language. It
22 just takes a bit more work. For Gentoo, this would work in much the same
23 way — it essentially requires the existence of an underlying platform,
24 but the focus would be on the use cases.
25
26 There are two major problems that drive this. One is that Gentoo's
27 popularity has greatly declined in the past decade. While you could
28 argue that fewer users isn't necessarily a problem in its own right,
29 it's creating severe difficulties for us in recruiting new developers.
30 That is a problem, and it's an existential one. We need to change,
31 because doing what we're doing will just keep us on the same road.
32
33 Second, and this is one thing I've learned from my professional life, is
34 that platforms are too ephemeral of a concept in isolation. Platforms
35 (or metadistributions) succeed when it becomes crystal clear exactly how
36 to use them, typically through creation of sample applications, early
37 public customers, or something along those lines.
38
39 > Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but it seems like "focus" is referring
40 > to actively marketing or advertising Gentoo to garner more interest.
41
42 Focus includes but goes far beyond marketing. Here are some examples of
43 what this kind of focus would imply:
44
45 - The council would base its decision-making on these use cases
46 - The QA project would help test that these use cases worked well
47 - PMS enhancements would be driven in part by these use cases
48 - Releng goals could be to provide image/package types to support them
49 - Individual developers would make ebuild-level decisions based on them
50 - We could use them as a rallying cry to unite Gentoo devs
51 - And yes, the website would tell these stories to draw in new users
52
53 > The real problem, based on what I've read here on gentoo-dev,
54 > gentoo-project, and so on, is a lack of manpower.
55
56 This is kind of a problem that isn't a problem. We've supposedly had a
57 lack of manpower ever since Gentoo's founding, because there are more
58 things that we could be doing but aren't.
59
60 > The current issues I think Gentoo faces are more related to manpower
61 > than relevance, focus, or usefulness. Maybe some new blood (to assist
62 > the older, knowledgeable blood) is needed to help Gentoo move forward
63 > faster.
64
65 And where will that new blood come from?
66
67 There's a limited number of ways to improve the conversion rate through
68 our recruitment funnel. You can either lower the barriers along the way
69 or pour more into the top of it. And while lowering the barriers would
70 certainly get people their commit rights faster, I very rarely see
71 people who give up halfway through because it's too frustrating.
72 (Granted I haven't checked lately but I've been an on-and-off
73 recruiter.)
76 Thanks,
77 Donnie
78