From: Sarah White <kuzetsa@××××××××××.ovh>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] rfc: copyright attribution clarifications
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2018 20:40:11
1 On 11/23/18 3:25 PM, Ian Stakenvicius wrote:
2 > On 2018-11-23 3:23 p.m., Sarah White wrote:
5 >> Either way: multiline copyright notices are legally valid,
6 >> or is that meant to be disputed? I'm not clear on the
7 >> intent for this comment:
8 >>
9 >> ["...don't have to be listed in a notice"]
12 > legal validity != legal requirement
16 Sure. You're not wrong.
17
18 You've left out the other section which starts:
19
20 ["The interest in removing or discouraging..."]
21
22 What's the purpose of removing or discouraging
23 something which doesn't harm gentoo, but rather,
24 helps get more support from: ["contributors who
25 are in a situation where a contract may require a
26 copyright notice for anything done on-the-clock"]
27
28 ... and/or other harmless reasons.
29
30 The intent / reasoning for removal or prohibition
31 of a multiline copyright notice has tenuous footing,
32 and worries me that nobody in this thread has made
33 a stronger argument than: ["we're not required by any
34 law to allow a different copyright notice, so we'll
35 require it to be a gentoo authors copyright notice."]
36
37 -- kuza