From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: Douglas Anderson <dja@××××××.com>
Cc: Gentoo project list <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Improving our people
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 16:55:21
On 16:04 Wed 21 Jan     , Douglas Anderson wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 1:32 PM, Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o> wrote: > > On 20:30 Tue 20 Jan , Donnie Berkholz wrote: > >> It isn't necessarily obvious from a recruiter's interaction with a > >> mentor whether he is good at the actual task of mentoring. > > > > We could take a tip from the Summer of Code and have both mentor and > > mentee fill out a quick eval at the end of probation. This would perhaps > > be more valuable over a longer probation. > > > > The evaluation is a good idea, but it would have to be something maybe > only devrel had access to.
How would mentors know what they need to improve upon? One way to answer this is to have 2 sections -- 1 optional section that only recruiters see, and 1 that the mentor sees.
> With the Summer of Code, many students leave the project after they're > finished,
The best ones stay. And they fill out evals too, so it's clearly a solvable problem.
> but with a new dev they're just starting a (hopefully) long > relationship with their mentor. I personally would hesitate to point > out the weak points of an experienced developer if I were just > starting out here. Something to think about...
I would love to improve my mentoring, and suggestions to help me are welcome. Pointing out unfixable weak points is also welcome because those are areas I should avoid, instead focusing on what I'm good at. -- Thanks, Donnie Donnie Berkholz Developer, Gentoo Linux Blog: http://dberkholz.wordpress.com