From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Cc: robbat2@g.o, gyakovlev@g.o, sam@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items - Council meeting on 2022-02-13
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2022 17:10:04
1 On Wed, 2022-02-09 at 00:54 -0600, William Hubbs wrote:
2 > On Wed, Feb 09, 2022 at 09:23:46AM +0500, Anna Vyalkova wrote:
3 > > On 2022-02-09 04:15, Sam James wrote:
4 > > > A compromise / workaround would be the Go maintainers working on
5 > > > some tooling to make it easier to tar up the needed modules and
6 > > > avoid huge SRC_URI.
7 > >
8 > > This. Sometimes EGO_SUM is so long it exceeds the maximum string length.
9 > >
10 > > *blames google for the whole go modules thing*
11 >
12 > This isn't an issue specific to Go; Rust can have the same problem.
13 >
14 > I'm speaking mostly for Go; I'm not sure how Rust handles this exactly.
15 >
16 > If we could define an extra phase function that runs after
17 > src_unpack, say call it src_fetch_extra, which has access to the
18 > network, we could completely eliminate EGO_SUM and most of the go-module
19 > eclass code around src_unpack.
20 >
21 > At a very high level, if src_fetch_extra is not defined, nothing
22 > happens. If it is defined, however, it would be called with "${S}" as
23 > the starting directory.
24 >
25 > Could this be added to eapi 9?
26 >
27 > If I had something like this for Go ebuilds at least, all of the big
28 > manifests would disappear.
31 This would:
32
33 1) break Gentoo installations behind restrictive firewalls,
34
35 2) make parallel fetching much harder,
36
37 3) would require custom implementations to support caching
38 and mirroring,
39
40 4) will eventually lead to ebuilds fetching and using unverified data.
43 Best regards,
44 Michał Górny