From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Cc: council@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items - Coucil meeting 2020-11-08
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2020 09:06:32
1 On Mon, 2020-10-26 at 09:18 +0100, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
2 > > > > > > On Mon, 26 Oct 2020, Michał Górny wrote:
3 > > I would like to request the Council to vote on pre-approval of EAPI 8
4 > > items [1].
5 >
6 > For easy reference, please find the complete list below. The PMS team
7 > will start working on the specification after pre-approval of features.
8
9 For even easier reference, a short summary of each item.
10
11 No real killer features this year.
12
13 > 1. New features
14 >
15 > a) Selective fetch restriction
16 > Bug #371413 [2]
17
18 Allow applying RESTRICT=fetch/mirror to a subset of package's SRC_URI.
19 Useful e.g. for proprietary packages that fetch free patches.
20 The proposed syntax is the usual RESTRICT=... + in SRC_URI:
21
22 - mirror+http:// (mirror+ftp://...) to ignore mirror restriction
23 - fetch+http:// (...) to ignore fetch restriction
24
25 > b) Install-time CBUILD dependencies (IDEPEND)
26 > Bug #660306 [3]
27
28 Allow specifying dependencies that are required for pkg_*inst
29 and preserved until pkg_*rm, installed into CBUILD root. This is
30 a somewhat old request that used to be worked around via RDEPEND, except
31 that this hack does not work for cross.
32
33 We have found no use case for 'CHOST IDEPEND', so only one dep type
34 here.
35
36 > 2. Enhancements of existing features
37 >
38 > a) Variant of || ( ) with defined runtime behaviour
39 > Bug #489458 [4]
40 > - From original EAPI 6 (and 7) feature list
41
42 This will probably be postponed again, as there is nobody willing
43 to implement it.
44
45 > b) Pass --datarootdir to configure
46 > Bug #651958 [5]
47 >
48 > c) Pass --disable-static to configure
49 > Bug #744871 [6]
50
51 I don't think these two need an extra comment.
54 > d) Accumulate PROPERTIES and RESTRICT over eclasses and ebuilds
55 > Bug #701132 [7]
56
57 This is to improve consistency a little and reduce the confusion. Some
58 developers have accidentally overwritten RESTRICT, thinking it was
59 accumulated like IUSE or *DEPEND.
60
61 > e) RESTRICT value for network-restricted tests
62 > Bug #553696 [8]
63
64 The new value indicates that the package's tests have no other issues
65 except for Internet access. For the majority of our users, this will be
66 equivalent to RESTRICT=test; except that some developers will be able
67 to disable this and run the tests, effectively also disabling network-
68 sandbox for src_test(). The rationale is that bad tests are better than
69 no tests ;-).
70
71 > f) dosym -r to create symlinks relative to link location
72 > Bug #708360 [9]
73
74 An easier way to create relative symlinks, without having to count all
75 the '../'s yourself.
76
77 > g) Second optional argument for usev
78 > Bug #744868 [10]
79
80 This fills the gap between usev and usex. 'usev a b' is equivalent
81 to 'usex a b ""', i.e. output 'b' if true and empty string otherwise.
82
83 Note that 'usex a b' outputs 'no' if false which is sometimes desirable,
84 sometimes confusing but changing it today would be more confusing.
85
86 > 3. Other changes
87 >
88 > a) Less strict naming rules for files in updates directory
89 > Bug #692774 [11]
90
91 PMS requires the current quarterly scheme but for no real reason (we do
92 not require the files to be processed in a specific order). We would
93 like to allow any names going forward, so that years from now, when we
94 require EAPI 8 for profiles, we would eventually be able to change
95 update file naming to a scheme optimal for the time.
96
97 > b) Bash 5.0
98 > Bug #636652 [12]
99
100 The usual deal, accounting for the current stable.
103 > c) More consistent insopts/exeopts
104 > Bug #657580 [13]
105
106 We seem to have a historical mess over which functions respect *opts,
107 and which do not. The goal is to clear it up by making insopts apply
108 only to doins/newins, and exeopts only to doexe/newexe.
109
110 In other words, doconfd, doenvd, doheader, doinitd will no longer be
111 affected by insopts/exeopts and instead reliably use the standard mode
112 for the directory in question. If someone really needed to do something
113 different, doins/doexe will still be available.
114
115 > 4. Removals and bans
116 >
117 > a) unpack: Remove support for 7-Zip, RAR, and LHA
118 > Bug #690968 [14]
119
120 These are barely used, and PMS-specified tools for LHA and RAR are non-
121 free. It's better to maintain them in unpacker.eclass, so that we can
122 switch to free and maintained tools (e.g. 7-Zip) easily.
126 > > [1] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Future_EAPI/EAPI_8_tentative_features
127 >
128 > [2] https://bugs.gentoo.org/371413
129 > [3] https://bugs.gentoo.org/660306