From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2013-04-09
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2013 20:22:36
1 On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 3:30 PM, Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o> wrote:
2 > we can could create a "toolchain-stable.eclass". whenever we stabilize a new
3 > version, we copy the current toolchain.eclass to toolchain-stable.eclass and
4 > change the newly stabilized ebuild to inherit that instead.
5 >
6 > for all other versions (unstable, and older stable), we have them use the
7 > toolchain.eclass.
8
9 That sounds slightly better than how a few infamous libs handle
10 SONAMEs and ABIs.
11
12 I think the real problem is that we're defining functions without
13 clearly defining the inputs and outputs. The input is essentially a
14 tarball or directory tree that is expected to be in a fairly
15 particular format, but upstream does not commit to keeping these
16 formats across versions.
17
18 This is like defining a function in an eclass that takes two integers
19 as parameters, and then in the next eclass revision having it take two
20 strings. That is obviously going to create a mess unless you
21 carefully modify all the references to that function on every bump.
22 Heaven forbid anybody with an overlay wants to use it.
23
24 toolchain.eclass is only used by gcc, kgcc64, and gcc-apple. Would it
25 just make more sense to inline it? That makes all these issues go
26 away - each version has its own independent quality process and there
27 is no risk of changes breaking things across versions.
28
29 Rich