From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Cc: kumba@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2014-04-08
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2014 15:47:36
1 Dnia 2014-03-30, o godz. 09:56:45
2 Joshua Kinard <kumba@g.o> napisał(a):
3
4 > On 03/30/2014 05:23, Rich Freeman wrote:
5 > > On Sun, Mar 30, 2014 at 4:33 AM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
6 > >>
7 > >> ISO/IEC prefixes [1,2]: KiB (kibibyte), MiB (mebi-), GiB (gibi-)
8 > >> -- unambiguously 2^10, 2^20, 2^30
9 > >>
10 > >> 'old' prefixes: kB (kilobyte), MB (mega-), GB (giga-)
11 > >> -- can mean 10^3 or 2^10 etc. depending on author's intention
12 > >> -- SI people tend to use 10^N for consistency with other units
13 > >
14 > > To think that counting is the one situation where it is actually
15 > > possible to have perfect precision, and we still manage to mess up the
16 > > units...
17 > >
18 > > I'm a bit torn on this. I'm an American, so I am supposed to do
19 > > something ambiguous and arbitrary (can we count bytes in baker's
20 > > dozens?). I'm also a Chemist, and never met an SI unit I didn't like.
21 > >
22 > > We do need to keep in mind that the laws of physics dictate that
23 > > boolean states can only be combined in groups of 8. That's a shame,
24 > > because kibibits just rolls off the tongue and helps promote healthy
25 > > fur.
26 > >
27 > > Now I need to get back to sleep because I have a 97.7 kibimeter drive
28 > > tomorrow...
29 >
30 > I'm on the side of using the old prefixes. I just never groked the base-10
31 > forms. Since Gentoo is all about choice, why not make it configurable?
32 > Maybe a USE flag or some other switch in make.conf that can be read by
33 > Portage to let you choose if you want natural computer size presentations
34 > (old prefix) or the human-friendly ones (new prefixes). We've obviously got
35 > the code for both forms in the referenced eclass, so just wrap it in a
36 > conditional based on the chosen switch. That laves the debate up to which
37 > value is the default.
38
39 Don't you think this would be a serious overkill?
40
41 If choice for this were to be provided, it should probably land
42 in glibc's LC_MEASUREMENT. Though I'm not sure if that would help
43 something since most of the countries seem to support the binary
44 prefixes. At least the countries using the metric system.
47 Best regards,
48 Michał Górny