From: Brian Dolbec <dolsen@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2018-07-29
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2018 03:23:35
1 On Fri, 13 Jul 2018 19:50:00 +0200
2 Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > >>>>> On Fri, 13 Jul 2018, Brian Dolbec wrote:
5 >
6 > > I would like the council to put an end to the current "moving
7 > > default location of portage tree" bikeshed thread by making the
8 > > decision of our new defaults.
9 >
10 > I think we should have proposal ready for vote at the council meeting,
11 > because I don't expect that discussion of individual paths during the
12 > meeting would lead to anything.
13 >
14 > > This includes:
15 > > - main "gentoo" ebuild tree
16 > > - distfiles
17 > > - packages
18 >
19 > Trying to summarise the discussion in -dev, and in #-portage: Everyone
20 > seems to agree that all of these should be somewhere under /var, and
21 > possible candidates are /var/lib, /var/cache, and /var/db. Note that
22 > /var/db is not specified by the FHS, but it exists in all the BSDs.
23 > Also, I am disregarding suggestions like /var/gentoo or /var/portage
24 > for now.
25 >
26 > For both /var/lib and /var/cache the FHS requires a <package>
27 > subdirectory. Unless we want this to be "portage", we could use
28 > "package-manager" (since virtual/package-manager is a package),
29 > or pretend that "pm" is an alias for it. This would lead us to the
30 > following paths, respectively:
31 >
32 > /var/lib/{package-manager,pm}/gentoo
33 > /var/cache/{package-manager,pm}/distfiles
34 > /var/cache/{package-manager,pm}/packages
37 I think it is a mistake to group distfiles and packages directly
38 beside the repositories.
39
40 One of the big reasons I feel this way, is so that configuration can be
41 made more plugin friendly. With all repositories under one subdir. It
42 could be possible for a package manager to scan the subdir for
43 repositories. Details of repo configuration data may be included in the
44 repository. This could eliminate the need for a
45 /etc/portage/repos.conf. Or at the very least, eliminate the need to
46 specify location if it is in the default base path. (just food for
47 thought)
48
49 If under the same /var/lib/pm, then the
50 repositories should be in it's own "repos" subdir still for the above
51 mentioned reasons, just like the example below for /var/db/. If that
52 puts more weight on the /var/db prefix due to FHS..., then that is
53 fine, it just happens to be my configuration already ;)
56 > Alternatively, we could place either the gentoo tree, or all three of
57 > the above under /var/db (which doesn't follow the FHS, so no subdir
58 > requirement):
59 >
60 > /var/db/repos/gentoo
61 > /var/db/distfiles
62 > /var/db/packages
63 >
64 > > - snapshot name
65 >
66 > Simply gentoo-20180712.tar.xz instead of portage-20180712.tar.xz?
67 > Or is that not specific enough?
68 >
69 > Ulrich
70
71 snapshot name is good and follows the repo naming convention. :)
74 Which ever of the above locations that becomes the default, I would
75 change layman to the new default repos location as well.
79 Brian Dolbec <dolsen>