From: Thomas Anderson <tanderson@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] [GLEP 39 overhaul] Does the council need a lead?
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 19:19:07
1 On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 06:59:51PM +0100, Roy Bamford wrote:
2 > On 2010.04.18 00:49, Denis Dupeyron wrote:
3 > > Does the council need a lead? All top-level projects have a lead
4 > > except the council. Should we maintain this exception?
5 > >
6 > > How do we elect a lead? Do the developers do it or should it be left
7 > > to the newly elected council members?
8 > >
9 > Team,
10 >
11 > The council needs a chairman and a secretary.
12 >
13 > It does not matter if they are rotating positions or elected by the
14 > council. The chairman must be a member of the council, the secretary
15 > can be anyone capable of discharging the duties of the post. They need
16 > not be a dev at all.
17 >
18 > The main point is to prevent the waste of time at the start of the
19 > meeting working out who is logging, posting the summary and who is
20 > chairing.
21 >
22 > If other 'officer' roles would help to discharge the business of the
23 > council, the council should be free to appoint them.
24 >
25 > --
26 > Regards,
27 >
28 > Roy Bamford
29 > (Neddyseagoon) a member of
30 > gentoo-ops
31 > forum-mods
32 > trustees
35 I strongly agree with this. I think it also cannot be emphasized enough that the
36 secretary simply cannot chair the meetings(unless the secretary is a council
37 member). This is because the secretary is not elected and, from my experience
38 chairing meetings anyway, would inneffectually keep the council on-topic and
39 moving through the agenda.
40
41 Pretty much anything else can be assigned to the secretary however.
46 ~Thomas Anderson~