From: Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Council discuss: overlapping council terms of two years
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2011 22:31:59
1 On 2011.08.04 21:10, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
2 > On 23:21 Tue 02 Aug , Roy Bamford wrote:
3 > > It would be unethical if the council could vote funds for a council
4 > > devised project.
5 >
6 > I disagree. I don't think it's unethical nor even unusual for me to
7 > fund
8 > my own decisions in a personal or corporate environment. It seems
9 > much
10 >
11 > more unethical to me that some "helicopter parents" can choose not to
12 > fund a decision; that's one way how we get so many screwups in our
13 > government, with unfunded decisions that cost money.
14 >
15 > --
16 > Thanks,
17 > Donnie
18 >
19 > Donnie Berkholz
20 > Council Member / Sr. Developer
21 > Gentoo Linux
22 > Blog: http://dberkholz.com
25 I think we have to agree to disagree on this one. The corporate norm of
26 checks and balances is to have applications for expenditure, be it for
27 trivial sums or large capital items, to be signed off by someone/some
28 group with no interest in the outcome, so they can make an objective
29 decision.
30
31 e.g. I can sign off travel and expenses for others but not for myself.
32
33 There is usually a system of audits to ensure this division of
34 responsibilities actually happens too.
35
36 I freely admit my experience is limited to the UK.
39 Regards,
40
41 Roy Bamford
42 (Neddyseagoon) a member of