From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Questions for Candidates (was: Questioning/Interviewing council nominees)
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2013 10:40:19
1 On Sat, Jun 29, 2013 at 4:35 PM, Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn
2 <chithanh@g.o> wrote:
3 > hasufell schrieb:
4 >> What should be our _priority_? Keeping devs happy or keeping users
5 >> happy?
6 >
7 > Running Gentoo requires our users to make informed decisions all the time.
8 > As long as the forked or split packages are accompanied with documentation
9 > describing straightforward ways how to make use of them, I do not see any
10 > significant degradation of user experience.
11
12 So, I thought this was a thread for asking questions and not answering
13 them, but it seems like this is turning into a general discussion.
14
15 Agree 100% that running Gentoo requires users to make informed
16 decisions all the time. The question was about split packages for
17 single files though - not split packages in general. Splitting up
18 kdebase is a great idea. Splitting up apache into apache,
19 apache-gentooconfig, apache-initd, apache-logrotate, etc just because
20 the apache maintainer thinks that we should simply install vanilla
21 upstream files and logrotate is of the devil is a really bad idea.
22 That doesn't make any user or dev happy, save perhaps the maintainer.
23
24 Forked packages are potentially even worse. Do you want the version
25 of apache that contains backported bugfixes but vanilla config files,
26 or the one that has gentooified configs but no init-script? Maybe
27 somebody should make yet another fork that mixes and matches those.
28 Then another maintainer makes a fork with a logrotate script, but they
29 only include systemd units and not an initd script.
30
31 Maintainers shouldn't have to do the work to support any configuration
32 they're not comfortable testing/etc, but if somebody else comes along
33 to do it for them, the solution is cooperation, not revert wars.
34
35 Rich