From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: [gentoo-dev] ChangeLog generation - pros and cons (council discussion request)
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2011 18:31:17
1 On 03-08-2011 19:16:15 +0100, Markos Chandras wrote:
2 > > I listed the questions I think are relevant at the bottom of my mail.
3 > > I feel you forgot the most important one: should ChangeLogs be
4 > > auto-generated at all?. Only if yes,
5 >
6 > I am a bit confused. I though that the previous council had already
7 > approved the automated changelog generation[1]
8 >
9 > [1]: http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/council/meeting-logs/20110608-summary.txt
10
11 The above link references the original thread on auto-generation of
12 ChangeLogs, but it doesn't decide on anything at all about it. The
13 discussion was mainly focussed on policies and temporary workarounds.
14
15 The topic as it is presented in the original thread is about what
16 choices to make when generating, which greatly influences the efforts it
17 needs to be implemented.
18
19 I hope it will allow us to perhaps even start auto-generating ChangeLogs
20 today, that is, right now, and not just only when we switch to the next
21 VCS.
25 Fabian Groffen
26 Gentoo on a different level