From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Questioning/Interviewing council nominees
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2013 19:57:51
1 >>>>> On Mon, 17 Jun 2013, hasufell wrote:
2
3 > @Ulrich Mueller
4 > * Will you make it easier for people to contribute to PMS? Currently
5 > people rather try to avoid any issues that are connected with PMS
6 > changes.
7
8 On IRC you've clarified this further (posting it here with your
9 permission):
10
11 > <hasufell> ulm: it's just an observation when discussing stuff over
12 > the past year on bugzilla and -dev that people think more than twice
13 > before they choose an approach that requires PMS changes
14 > <hasufell> it takes long, you have to deal with some unpleasant
15 > people (not you) and it might just be rejected. On the contrary...
16 > eclass solutions don't have that. I think that is a problem
17
18 How long it takes for a feature to appear in a new EAPI mostly depends
19 on the EAPI release cycle. For example, support for sub-slots was
20 first discussed in the gentoo-dev mailing list in June 2012 and was
21 included in EAPI 5 which was approved only three months later.
22
23 On the other hand, if you propose a new feature shortly after an EAPI
24 was finalised, you're out of luck and have to wait for the next one.
25 The only way to shorten this time would be to have new EAPIs more
26 often. However, it's a balance between that and having too many EAPIs.
27 IMHO, one new EAPI per year and about three or four that are actively
28 used in the tree at any time is just what we can handle.
29
30 Is contributing too difficult? For EAPI 5 we have only accepted
31 features where an implementation was ready. This was the lesson
32 learned from EAPI 4, which took almost two years (from April 2009 to
33 January 2011) from feature freeze to approval.
34
35 Generally, if you propose a new feature, then you should be its
36 champion and make sure that a wording for the spec as well as an
37 implementation are ready in time. If others like your feature, then
38 you may even find somebody else who will do that work for you. I guess
39 it's not so much different from other open source projects. (And BTW,
40 also for "eclass solutions" you need an implementation and must build
41 consensus in the -dev ML.)
42
43 For EAPI 5, I've tried to make the process as transparent as possible,
44 so each feature had its own bug, and all non-trivial ones were also
45 discussed in the mailing lists. In addition, we had a wiki page [1]
46 to collect pointers to all relevant information. I'll do the same for
47 future EAPIs (and of course others are invited to participate).
48
49 Ulrich
50
51 [1] http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Future_EAPI/EAPI_5_tentative_features