From: Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Council appointed leaders for QA and DevRel
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2011 14:20:18
Team,

I'll stir the pot a little.  No flames please, after all, we are just
brainstorming, or to be PC having an idea shower.

On 2011.08.14 12:06, Markos Chandras wrote:
> Hi all, > > This is the first of the items I would like to discuss for the next > Council agenda (or a later one). > > Some time ago, few people proposed to have Council appointed leaders > for QA and DevRel. I like the idea because this way the Council can > ensure that the team is active or either force some activity in case > the current leader slacks big time.
The concepts of appointing leaders and monitoring activity are not linked. In my view a council appointed team lead is unlikely to do a better job than one elected by the team. Choice of leader is therefore no different to any other project. Council may want to have some documented authority to take drastic action in the case of slacking but that's separate again from appointments and monitoring. Council would need to monitor to know when drastic action was required. In short, --Routine_Appointments, ++Monitoring ++AuthortyToAct
> Furthermore, right now there is the potential problem for the leader > to only allow new members that he likes so they can vote for him on > next elections.
We already have an appeal to council process that should be used. I've formed the impression that these teams are as understaffed as any other area of Gentoo, so no *competent* help should be refused. How competent is judged needs to be documented by the teams - e.g. a quiz and a practical under supervision before volunteers are turned away.
> Membership and voting actions should not be related in these teams. > The leader will still have control over the new members but Council > will do the voting (community will provide feedback ofc )
What do you mean by control ?
> > My proposal is: > > Devrel: 1 year term. Developers are nominated by others or they can > self-nominated
Why do devrel members need to be developers? Users with the correct skill set can do the job just as well, if they are interested.
> > QA: 6-month term. Developers are nominated by others or they can > self-nominated
Why do QA members need to be developers? Transparent competency is what counts in all areas of a volunteer project. With council monitoring, of the QA team there is no reason to have such a short term.
> > This is just a brainstorming so please let me know what you think. > > -- > Regards, > Markos Chandras / Gentoo Linux Developer / Key ID: B4AFF2C2 >
Thats my three ha'porth. -- Regards, Roy Bamford (Neddyseagoon) a member of gentoo-ops forum-mods trustees