From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2014-04-08
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2014 16:40:36
1 On Sun, Mar 30, 2014 at 12:31 PM, Ciaran McCreesh
2 <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Sun, 30 Mar 2014 12:27:34 -0400
4 > Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
5 >> As soon as you start getting into anything that involves the real
6 >> world and engineering
7 >
8 > Which isn't the case here, so this whole thing is irrelevant.
9
10 What prevents the output of a tool from being used in an engineering
11 context? In any case, my concern is more with ambiguity (when
12 software tells me I have 1GB of free space, what does that mean?). I
13 think GB are more useful than GiB in most cases (though I explicitly
14 stated in my first proposal that there are situations where this isn't
15 the case), but I care more about ambiguity.
16
17 Since definitions of units are generally standardized across all
18 potential uses (do you want a km to be different depending on whether
19 you're measuring road length, speed, or wavelengths?), it only made
20 sense for the ISO/etc to pick definitions that were useful in the
21 broadest sense.
22
23 Rich