From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] [RFC pre-GLEP] Identity verification via OpenPGP WoT
Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2019 19:57:30
1 On Mon, 2019-03-04 at 14:18 -0500, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Mon, Mar 4, 2019 at 2:06 PM Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
3 >
4 > > Furthermore,
5 > > it is recommended that the signer includes the URL of this GLEP
6 > > as the certification policy URL (``--cert-policy-url`` in GnuPG),
7 > > and appropriately indicates certification level (see
8 > > ``--default-cert-level`` in GnuPG).
9 >
10 > Rather than say "appropriately" why not explicitly indicate which
11 > certification level to use? Otherwise the distinction between 2/3 is
12 > going to become a point of debate. If you're going to standardize the
13 > URL it seems like standardizing the level makes sense (IMO specifying
14 > the URL for disambiguation is a great idea).
15
16 Well, I believe both 2 and 3 can be valid, depending on how minutely
17 you've verified the document. I'd say you'd say 3 if you really
18 carefully ensured all three points (including multiple anti-counterfeit
19 measures); 2 if you just looked if the document looks reasonable but
20 failed to prepare.
21
22 > > 1. Obtain a hardcopy of signee's OpenPGP key fingerprint. The signer
23 > > must afterwards use the fingerprint to verify the authenticity
24 > > of the key being used.
25 >
26 > This seems needlessly specific. How about just requiring that they
27 > verify the fingerprint of the key to be signed with the person signing
28 > it. That could mean being handed a hardcopy, but it it could just
29 > mean being shown the fingerprint and transcribing it, or comparing it
30 > on-screen, etc. Obviously it needs to be communicated via a
31 > reasonably tamper-proof mechanism.
32 >
33 > This just seems to necessitate printing out keys when other methods
34 > might be just as secure. Maybe focus more on the what than the how.
35
36 Sorry, non-native English speaker here. I thought the intent is clear
37 from the sentence, and people are going to be able to figure out that
38 the purpose is to have tamper-proof value here.
41 Best regards,
42 Michał Górny