From: Steven J Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-project] Re: Gentoo Certifications
Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 14:51:43
1 AllenJB wrote:
2 > Luca Barbato wrote:
3 >> Recently I got inquiries about something/somebody that could certify
4 >> people able to use Gentoo. Apparently there are people that wondered if
5 >> there is something equivalent to RH or Canonical certifications.
6 >>
7 >> Any body has ideas about that? Somebody else would like to have
8 >> something like that set in place (with the rubber stamps, exams and
9 >> such)?
10 >>
11 > It's not Gentoo-specific, and I have no personal experience, but
12 > whenever I hear about it (mostly around LUG meets), the LPI
13 > certifications always seem to be highly regarded.
14 >
15 > http://www.lpi.org/
16 >
17 Agreed; I've never taken them, so don't know their content, but an
18 equivalent tailored to Gentoo (for stuff like init system and package
19 management) would be a good place to start. After all, most of Gentoo
20 administration is working with vanilla configs from upstream. As such,
21 the knowledge stands one in good stead, since it is readily transferable.
22
23 Clearly one would want to update these at least annually for validity,
24 to the benefit of all concerned.
25
26 Does anyone know any of the lpi people? It might be something they'd
27 be interesting in collaborating on.
30 #friendly-coders -- We're friendly but we're not /that/ friendly ;-)