From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-project] rfc: live ebuilds, masking in p.mask or with empty keywords
Date: Sat, 02 Nov 2013 19:36:07
1 All,
2
3 I am moving this to a new thread so the thread about agenda items does
4 not get too long.
5
6 On Sat, Nov 02, 2013 at 03:25:24PM -0400, Rick "Zero_Chaos" Farina wrote:
8 > Hash: SHA1
9 >
10 > On 11/02/2013 02:52 PM, William Hubbs wrote:
11
12 * snip *
13
14 > > Can we discuss and maybe vote on how we want live ebuilds in the tree? I
15 > > see three possibilities:
16 > >
17 > > 1) empty keywords (this appears to be what most people are doing)
18 > > 2) package.mask (not required, the way I see it, because of 1 and
19 > > because package.mask shouldn't be permanent)
20 > > 3) both package.mask and empty keywords (this would be double masking,
21 > > and again shouldn't be necessary)
22 > >
23 > > Thoughts?
24 >
25 > Personally, I prefer option 1. That said, there is a reason for Options
26 > 2 and 3.
27 >
28 > When using a minor arch, a lot of packages are not keyworded for that
29 > arch, which then requires me to install them with KEYWORDS="**" and that
30 > pulls in live ebuilds all the time. Personally, I'm fine dealing with
31 > things like that, but that would be a valid reason for requiring
32 > package.mask. That said, if we want to persue that, I would say that we
33 > should start adding keywords to live ebuilds (~arch obviously) and
34 > p.mask them so we know what arches it is expected to work on.
35
36 Have you tried specifying the version of the package you want, e.g.
37
38 =app-misc/foo-x.y.z **
39
40 should pull in the exact version you want to test.
41
42 William