From: Robert Buchholz <rbu@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Cc: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Automation: Making package.mask better
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2007 10:38:53
1 On Sunday, 22. July 2007 08:39, Alec Warner wrote:
2 > Author: Who commited the mask.
3 > Date: When was it masked.
4 > Reason: 1 or more lines describing a rationale for the masking.
5 > Packages: one or more lines of text, 1 atom per line, describing
6 > packages affected by this mask entry.
7 >
8 > I wish to add a few more fields:
9 >
10 > Effective-Date: Date the mask goes into effect. This means you can
11 > mask stuff in the future.
12 > Expiration-Date: Date the mask ends. This means you can have masks
13 > that expire after a given time.
14 >
15 > If Expiration-Date was mandatory, we could essentially have a system
16 > that cleans out mask files by removing expired masks.
17
18 I like the idea, here's my comments:
19
20 1. For backwards compatibility, we could just put all fields into
21 comments (as it is done now) except for the masked atoms, like this:
22
23 # Author: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
24 # Date: 05 Feb 2007
25 # Reason: Masked to security problems, use 1.23-r1 until I fix it
26 # ...
27 >=app-admin/ulogd-1.24
28
29 The dates usage and parsing could than be added later, while using the
30 format and automation itself today.
31
32 2. The pro's of using it today would be to mark Last-Rites (just what
33 makes me think that discussion led you to the idea?).
34 I can think of several ways to do this. We could have an
35 optional "Removal-Date" field and if it is set, the package is last
36 rited
37
38 3. We could also introduce some kind of "Keywords" as in Bugzilla to
39 mark certain situations, as UNUSABLE, SECURITY, LASTRITED. Do we need
40 that?
41
42 4. How do we handle updates to the an entry, esp. the Date and Author
43 section?
46 > Another thing I wish to address is the addition of entries in
47 > package.mask at the top of the file. I think this restriction just
48 > makes automation more difficult. I can't just append new entries to
49 > the end of the file, I have to read in the file and figure out by
50 > some hardcoded comment strings where the actaul masks begin, and then
51 > insert text right below the examples. This is horrible. Can we nuke
52 > that convention, why are new entries at the top?
53
54 Drop the convention then... or we could add a marker line at the top
55 "## New entries start here" - Would that make it easier?
56
57 Robert
58 --
59 gentoo-project@g.o mailing list