From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Gentoo Council 2012/2013 election
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2012 21:03:10
1 On 22:05 Thu 07 Jun , Ulrich Mueller wrote:
2 > >>>>> On Mon, 04 Jun 2012, Jorge Manuel B S Vicetto wrote:
3 > > Nominations for the Gentoo Council 2012/2013 are now open for the
4 > > next two weeks (until 23:59 UTC, 17/06/2012).
5 >
6 > Seems that somebody has to start. ;-) I nominate:
7 >
8 > betelgeuse
9 > chainsaw
10 > dberkholz
11 > grobian
12 > hwoarang
13
14 Thanks, Ulrich — I accept. As a brief manifesto, I have 3 reasons to run
15 for council:
16
17 1. Representing the Gentoo philosophy as a long-term dev (9+ years) with
18 a cool head and reasonable point of view
19 2. Making the council less of a bureaucratic blocker on progress and
20 improving its productivity
21 3. Overseeing the health of our dev and user communities
22
23 I believe that individual developers drive all the innovation with
24 Gentoo, and the council's role should be to get out of their way instead
25 of setting up roadblocks.
26
27 The importance of having people who have Gentoo's philosophy in their
28 blood can't be overstated, and this only comes from long and extensive
29 experience working within our community. Being able to apply this
30 philosophy to every council decision ensures that we stay consistent
31 with the spirit of Gentoo.
32
33 I've seen the council transform greatly since I took some time away from
34 the council prior to this term. There are many parts of that
35 transformation that I think need to be reversed to make Gentoo more
36 productive as a whole. Bureaucracy and general confusion are getting in
37 the way of progress on both large and small scales.
38
39 For example, having some kind of solution for the GLEP 55 problem has
40 *literally* dragged on for *years*. And we ended up choosing an option
41 that was out there for nearly as long as the GLEP itself. This is one
42 case where making almost any decision is better than making no decision.
43
44 On the smaller scale, I'm talking about problems caused by, for example,
45 the frequent rotation of chairs. This means every meeting is run by
46 someone different so there's no good continuation of issues from the
47 last meeting, and a lack of experience in moderation so we get off-topic
48 and talk too long without decisions. We should have at most a few chairs
49 who are running 3-4 months of meetings in a row.
50
51 Finally, something I've cared deeply about for years is the health of
52 Gentoo's developer community. We occasionally need to take action to
53 ensure it stays healthy, and fortunately we seem to be closer to the
54 peak of a cycle at the moment. But it's inevitable that we'll have
55 problems again, and we need to be prepared and ready to deal with them
56 quickly, at a council level if necessary.
59 Thanks,
60 Donnie
61
62 Donnie Berkholz