From: Richard Freeman <rich@××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] [GLEP 39 overhaul] Voting by email, proxies and slacker rule.
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2010 11:57:40
On 04/17/2010 07:46 PM, Denis Dupeyron wrote:
> During the last council meeting we discussed voting by email, see the > log at [1]. What should we do about proxies if we make that happen?
They clearly aren't needed.
> What's the impact on the slacker rule?
It should be stricken. Instead, a majority of council members can vote to impeach if warranted, and an election is immediately held. The impeached councilor is eligible to re-run. The impeached councilor still is in power until voted out. If some councilor is making a big difference in Gentoo, I don't want to see them booted simply because they couldn't make two meeting dates, and there is no reason they should have to appoint a sub (though they should of course be able to). Ditto for the whole mess where the council managed to miss-communicate a date and we had to hold another election. What value did that add? We're adults. Let's elect council members once per year, and have provisions for problems, but let's not micro-manage how often they must meet/etc. I'm not aware of any serious organization that has these kinds of rules for their board of directors... Rich

smime.p7s application/pkcs7-signature