From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Council nominations
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2013 03:06:37
1 On 02:29 Mon 17 Jun , Michael Palimaka wrote:
2 > In addition to those already nominated:
3 >
4 > dberkholz
5
6 Thanks! Happy to accept. My time was rather tight over the past year as
7 I made a huge career transition to a new job in a totally different
8 field, but things are now calming down.
9
10 For anyone not familiar with me, I've been around long enough (since
11 2003) that I've done a bit of pretty much everything. I've maintained
12 hundreds of X and scientific packages, led teams in X and the desktop
13 project, spent time on devrel as a recruiter, was a top-level project
14 manager back in the old days, have been on the council on-and-off for a
15 number of years, have experience as a foundation trustee, run our
16 involvement in the Google Summer of Code, and more.
17
18 I'm well known for keeping a cool head even in the worst of flamewars
19 and having reasonable, rational discussions.
20
21 My manifesto from last year was more about my approach to the council
22 rather than any particular issues [1]. It hasn't changed much. In short:
23
24 - I continue to believe that technical advances are, and should be,
25 driven by individuals. Given our volunteer culture, a council can't
26 force people to do things they don't want to do, but it can help to
27 break up disputes and roadblocks, and make global decisions when needed.
28
29 - I just had my 10th "anniversary" as a Gentoo developer in May, and I
30 think it's important to represent the long-term philosophy and spirit
31 behind Gentoo on the council so its decisions are consistent with what
32 Gentoo stands for.
33
34 - Committees are a real problem, including the council. I continue to
35 support the empowerment of team leads, project leads, etc to push down
36 the decision-making authority. And I can't say I'd mind if we had a
37 "council" of one.
38
39 - People are the heart of Gentoo, not code. I care deeply about the
40 health of the community, because without the people we'd have no code
41 and no project.
44 Thanks,
45 Donnie
46