From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Council discuss: overlapping council terms of two years
Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2011 15:43:21
1 On Tue, Aug 02, 2011 at 08:36:33AM +0200, Fabian Groffen wrote:
2 > On 01-08-2011 23:24:56 +0000, Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto wrote:
3 > > As I've expressed already a few times, I strongly disagree with the
4 > > Council being able to change the rules that govern it. In my view, this
5 > > topic belongs to a reform of GLEP39.
6 > >
7 > > Also, as documented on the last meeting's summary[1], the current
8 > > council voted on not being able to update GLEP39:
9 > >
10 > > Donnie asked for a clarification by the council members on whether they
11 > > think a global dev vote is required to update GLEP39 or not. The
12 > > council voted 5 yes and 1 no that the council can't change GLEP39 as it
13 > > requires a full developer vote.
14 > >
15 > > [1] -
16 > > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/council/meeting-logs/20110715-summary.txt
17 >
18 > Right, which means to me that if the council agrees on a certain change
19 > to GLEP39, it has to organise a full developer vote with all the
20 > supporting material for the change.
21
22 But, you are saying that the council has to approve changes for glep
23 39 before they can come to a vote. This would mean that say a majority
24 of developers doesn't like something in glep 39, but the council
25 doesn't approve the change. That change will never come to a vote. In
26 other words, the council has control of the rules that govern it. Is
27 that what you are intending?
28
29 William