From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Cc: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] March 2014 QA team meeting
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2014 02:27:24
1 On Wed, Apr 16, 2014 at 10:09 PM, Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o> wrote:
2 > To make the problem go away forever; we would need to automate
3 > summarization, but when trying to deploy an automated computer
4 > system[1] to do the task it turned out that it summarized everything
5 > but the agenda items (eg. that summer is on its way), so, we've got to
6 > do it manually to assure a high quality of the meeting summaries.
7
8 If people can't be bothered to post the decisions in a summary,
9 they're not going to be bothered to log them in some software tool.
10 There is no reason a summary needs to be more than a few sentences for
11 a typical meeting (if you're voting on something really complex, it
12 should have been posted beforehand for review, as with a
13 GLEP/code/etc).
14
15 In cases where I've struggled with getting summaries out for meetings
16 worthy of them in other settings, one trick is to compose them
17 on-screen during the meeting while everybody watches, such that the
18 only thing that needs to be done is hit save/send/etc when the meeting
19 is done. With something like Webex this can be done by hitting
20 reply-all to the meeting invite and composing the summary on-screen in
21 the form of notes, and basically anybody can chime in if something is
22 wrong.
23
24 Some simpler options for making that work would include something like
25 Google Docs or Etherpad (the latter perhaps being more appropriate in
26 this case). Indeed, when making proposals for votes people could
27 actually just paste them right into the etherpad instead of dumping
28 them into IRC (or you could paste them into both places). Then the
29 votes could be summarized right there (heck, everybody could just type
30 their own votes in there). When done you just post it wherever it
31 goes (wiki, whatever).
32
33 This might also help to keep people more engaged in the meeting, as
34 everybody is focused on the production of the summary, which is
35 ultimately the only thing anybody will remember of the meeting a week
36 later anyway.
37
38 Just a thought...
39