From: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o, trustees@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-project] Bad license and attribution by ChromiumOS and CoreOS
Date: Sat, 07 Mar 2015 02:25:29
1 Good $timezonegreeting,
2
3 The README at both
4
5 https://github.com/coreos/portage-stable
6 and
7 https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromiumos/overlays/portage-stable/+/master/README
8
9 claims that:
10
11 """
12 Copyright (c) 2011 The Chromium OS Authors. All rights reserved.
13 Use of this source code is governed by a BSD-style license that can be
14 found in the LICENSE file.
15 """
16
17 Since this is a copy of Gentoo ebuilds this is demonstrably wrong, the
18 copyrights on the files themselves are intact. Copyright is obviously
19 Gentoo Foundation, and license is GPL-2.
20
21 I have been unable to find a proper contact for both repositories, so I
22 hope people that know who to contact are reading this.
23
24 Once this is corrected I'd strongly suggest to both downstreams to poste
25 a prominent notice to inform all downstream users of this issue to avoid
26 accidental license violations.
29 Have fun,
30
31 Patrick