From: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2014-03-11
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2014 23:47:39
1 On Friday 28 February 2014 10:34:32 Anthony G. Basile wrote:
2 > On 02/28/2014 06:15 AM, Patrick Lauer wrote:
3 > > On 02/27/2014 09:08 PM, Anthony G. Basile wrote:
4 > >> Hi everyone,
5 > >>
6 > >> I'm putting the call out there for any agenda items for the next Council
7 > >> meeting, which will be held on March 11, 2014 at 1900 UTC. This is
8 > >> short notice but we got off track because of FOSDEM and we're going to
9 > >> try to get back on track.
10 > >>
11 > >> So far, the only item is final ratification of glep 63 [1].
12 > >
13 > > Since it's still a bit cold I'd like to start a nice fire to warm us up:
14 > >
15 > > I'd like QA and Council to figure out how much we care about FHS.
16 > >
17 > > My main complaint is some projects (including e.g. systemd and
18 > > apparently now also udev) storing config files in /lib and/or /usr/lib.
19 > >
20 > > From FHS' point of view this is totally wrong, config files go to /etc
21 > >
22 > > Only libraries should be in /lib.
23 > > Moving things to /usr/lib adds the extra fun that /usr needs to be
24 > > mounted to acces *config files*. This is bad for our collective blood
25 > > pressure.
26 > >
27 > > So I'd like to see config files stored in /etc again. Where they can be
28 > > properly tracked and versioned ...
29 > >
30 > > (iow, storing config files in any other location than /etc is wrong;
31 > > storing example configs in e.g. /usr/share is fine too; storing config
32 > > in any other place is a valid bug that needs to be fixed)
33 > >
34 > > For upstreams that insist on splitting configs in "system default" and
35 > > "local override" (which is rather nonsensical, but let them have some
36 > > fun) I would suggest a subfolder of /etc, maybe /etc/defaults or
37 > > /etc/systemdefaults or maybe /etc/lib/etc/usr/static if that's what
38 > > makes people happy
41 > > Enjoy the exothermic oxidation,
42 > >
43 > > Patrick
44 >
45 > Speaking as a council member and the next chair: Patrick, how would you
46 > pose this as a motion? As stated, the council should "discuss FHS" but
47 > how would you word this as a policy that we can rule on? I have an idea
48 > but would like to hear what you want.
49
50 I don't think we should aim at strict FHS adherence - as far as I remember the
51 last time people looked at it we figured out that e.g. slotted KDE would be
52 "invalid". So strict adherence was never considered sane anyway.
53
54 Restricting the discussion to "Config files go to /etc with examples in
55 /usr/share" might work - I'm not offended by kernel modules or python libraries
56 in /lib, but putting *config* there is just ....aaaaugh
57
58 (And putting boot-relevant config files in /usr, that is just hilarious - now
59 you MUST HAVE an initrd so that you can even have a chance at booting, because
60 your config files are not visible in the rootfs. The lesson why /etc appears to
61 have been lost)
64 > Speaking as a gentoo dev: This is one of my objections with systemd and
65 > the whole / + /usr merge. It violates a standard which is assumed in
66 > many setups, namely FHS. Another is that systemd violates the "one
67 > thing well" principle.
68
69 I disagree with the rather random nature of the change, so now basically /usr
70 is the new / (why not move everything to / and save 4 characters on each path
71 name?) and you need an initrd to boot (which has to replicate all of the
72 rootfs just to have a chance to mount /usr)
73
74 Y'know, maybe I've turned into a conservative greybeard, but moving rootfs
75 into an initrd just doesn't add up :)