From: Sergey Popov <pinkbyte@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] New developer: Alexander Berntsen (bernalex)
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2014 12:05:21
1 05.02.2014 14:58, justin пишет:
2 > On 05/02/14 11:49, Sergey Popov wrote:
3 >> 04.02.2014 23:47, Donnie Berkholz пишет:
4 >>> On 18:57 Wed 29 Jan , justin wrote:
5 >>>> He is joining us as staffer (for now, let's see what the future brings)
6 >>>> to work on portage (the PM) development, where he already contributed code.
7 >>>
8 >>> Anyone else think it ironic that we call actual developers "staffers"
9 >>> while ebuild maintainers qualify as "developers"?
10 >>>
11 >>> Note that I am arguing more for classifying the former as the latter
12 >>> than vice versa.
13 >>>
14 >>
15 >> I do not think so. Staffer can be designer, doc translator etc. Ebuild
16 >> maintainance requires programming skill(at basic level, yes, but still).
17 >
18 > Donnie is right here. Giving people appropriate titles is a motivation
19 > factor (see your footer gathering "lead" titles). So we should _not_
20 > call someone who is hacking our PM "staffer" but rather "developer". And
21 > call a translator, designer, package maintainer... by its title.
22 > I am called developer, but I am actually a package maintainer. This is
23 > what my expertise is not coding.
24 >
25 > The only question do we need to have the developer/staffer title
26 > discrimination for know who has tree access or not. And I would say no,
27 > as there is nothing in the official infrastructure like LDAP telling us
28 > that.
29
30 Good point, agreed. PM developer should not be called 'staffer' even he
31 has not access to gx86 - he just may not do ebuilds :-)
34 Best regards, Sergey Popov
35 Gentoo developer
36 Gentoo Desktop Effects project lead
37 Gentoo Qt project lead
38 Gentoo Proxy maintainers project lead