From: Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] CoC round 2 (or is it 10? ;)
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 16:33:32
1 On 2007.10.14 13:39, Steve Long wrote:
2 > Chrissy Fullam wrote:
3 > >> Donnie Berkholz wrote:
4 > >> Here is the summary from today's council meeting. The
5 > >> complete log will show up at
6 > > <snip>
7 > > - The CoC is in effect, but it needs a new enforcement section
8 > since
9 > the
10 > > proctors were disbanded. The council is sending discussion of this
12 > > the gentoo-project list, to come up with proposals for three
13 > points:
14 > > - who enforces it
15 > > - musikc said devrel could
16 > > - tsunam said userrel could
17 > > <snip>
18 > >
19 > > I wanted to clarify, please understand the intent behind my part of
20 > the
21 > > conversation was that devrel and userrel should continue to share
22 > the
23 > > responsibility as appropriate, and continue to work together,
24 > including
25 > > the questionable/overlapping areas. The above may have been
26 > misinterpreted
27 > > by some to indicate 'pick which one', when my intent was a joined
28 > front on
29 > > enforcing the CoC.
30 > >
31 > That seems reasonable, since the two groups who need equal treatment
32 > in an
33 > even-handed, impartial manner, are the users and the devs. I'd be
34 > happier
35 > if user-reps were considered for the pool as well, since devs all
36 > seem
38 > know each other fairly well and are quite a close-knit virtual
39 > community.
40 > Closing ranks happens: deal with it or not. *shrug* YMMV.
41 >
42 > >> Donnie Berkholz wrote:
43 > > > - how to enforce it
44 > > > - whether it's active or passive enforcement
45 > Er well I'd say passive enforcements what you've had so far (at least
46 > as far
47 > as the dev m-l, which is where many issues seem to surface, goes) and
48 > it
49 > hasn't worked out very well, which was why there was the long
50 > "discussion"
51 > on dev[1] followed by the decision to establish the proctors[2].
52 >
53 > > > - which actions are appropriate
54 > > >
55 > IMO muting a thread/locking a forum post/setting irc +m for 24
56 > hours/forever/however long the ops think it needs, with
57 > email/privmsg/pm
58 > discussion with whichever people are most vociferously flaming each
59 > other
60 > (as decided by the mods.)
61 >
62 > > > - If the -project list does not come up with a draft, dberkholz
63 > will
64 > > > write one based on -project discussion to vote upon at the
65 > November
66 > > > council meeting.
67 >
68 > Of course, you're going to need people who have experience of forum
69 > moderation, since that's the closest to email. IRC ops can overreact
70 > in
71 > this context, since they have to close a
72 > flamewar/cursing-match/abusive
73 > situation down in real-time, so their instinct is naturally to set +b
74 > for
75 > the medium.
76 >
77 > [1] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.devel/46339/
78 > focus=46611
79 > [2] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.devel/46780
82 > --
83 > gentoo-project@g.o mailing list
86 Steve,
87
88 Some interesting points ... control of any written channel can only be
89 passive, in the sense that controllers are always responding after the
90 event. The possible exception is a moderated mailing list.
91
92 How are passive and active defined in this context then?
93 Passive would have to be the controllers wait for a complaint before
94 acting and active would be the controllers work in as close to real
95 time as the medium allows, on things they notice for themselves as
96 happens in IRC and forums. They are always reactive regardless.
97
98 Most of the proctors actions were carried out in private, this seemed
99 to work best since most people hate to be publicly asked to exercise
100 restraint. We don't need a new project to continue this sort of
101 activity, nor do we need to add to the scope of any existing project.
102 Anyone can do it anytime. Curbing the worst excesses of friends is one
103 of the things we can all do for one another. Continued poor behavior
104 should be referred to the appropriate body in the normal way.
105
106 The -dev mailing list seems to have calmed down since the proctors most
107 public action, when a number of users had their posting rights
108 suspended briefly. I'm unsure if the creation of -project played a big
109 part in this or not. Judging by the number of posts to -project, I
110 think its unlikely. I'm more inclined to believe that the bloodletting
111 on that particular thread was something that everyone was aware of
112 and nobody wanted to risk repeating. Thus the proctors served their
113 purpose.
114
115 Regards,
116