From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: [gentoo-dev] ChangeLog generation - pros and cons (council discussion request)
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2011 18:22:36
1 On 09-08-2011 13:15:01 -0500, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
2 > > > I guess I don't understand something here. If we aren't retroactively
3 > > > changing existing ChangeLogs, and we're autogenerating things in the
4 > > > future, where would these changes come from?
5 > >
6 > > so you want to retain all existing ChangeLogs?
7 >
8 > Seems like a better idea to me, although it's not originally mine. Old
9 > commit messages weren't written with the knowledge or intent that anyone
10 > would be reading them, except maybe a dev or two, so we might lose a lot
11 > of information.
12
13 For your information: the Prefix tree [1] has ChangeLogs regenerated
14 from CVS commit logs for all packages that are included from the CVS
15 tree gentoo-x86 [2]. You can easily compare them against the original
16 logs from a regular gentoo-x86 [3].
17
18 > If/when we switch to git, we might want to reconsider that, since all
19 > the handwritten messages will be old, largely irrelevant history by
20 > then.
21
22 I don't follow your reasoning here. All messages that are old today,
23 are also old when we switch to git.
26 [1] http://prefix.gentooexperimental.org/gentoo-portage-prefix/
27 [2] http://overlays.gentoo.org/proj/alt/browser/trunk/prefix-overlay/whitelist.txt
28 [3] http://prefix.gentooexperimental.org/gentoo-portage-x86/