From: Joonas Niilola <juippis@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Cc: Joonas Niilola <juippis@g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-project] [RFC] glep-0076: add clarification about the sign-off requirements
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2021 04:09:30
1 Summary:
2 Make it clearer that a sign-off to a git commit is only required from
3 the committer, not from the author. It's only encouraged for the
4 authors.
5
6 Rationale:
7 1. We're actively rejecting contributions from people who do not wish to
8 have their real name shown in public, or link it to their Git*
9 accounts.
10
11 2. We have no way of knowing or confirming whether the given name is
12 "legal". I'd rather not have the sign-off from the author in the first
13 place than see clearly made up names in there, with a fresh-made Git*
14 account with no prior activity.
15
16 3. Recently we've had a couple of cases where our long-standing
17 contributors, with ~300 commits in total, reveal they've been using
18 pseudonyms. I'm sure there are many others. AFAIK all their commits
19 should then be revoked, and possibly future contributions rejected
20 due to trust issues?
21
22 4. As said, there are already devs committing work from people we
23 know to have made-up names. And/or there are devs committing patches
24 without the sign-off to begin with.
25
26 5. The infra git-hooks currently only check for a matching sign-off
27 from the committer anyway.
28
29 Final words:
30 So currently, this GLEP can be interpreted in two different ways: the
31 sign-off is and isn't required from the author. This does harm
32 towards contributors who work with devs who do require the sign-off
33 from the author, and thus the GLEP needs to be updated and enforced
34 one way or the other. I vote what benefits our contributors, and
35 therefore us, better.
36
37 Signed-off-by: Joonas Niilola <juippis@g.o>
38 ---
39 glep-0076.rst | 15 +++++++++++----
40 1 file changed, 11 insertions(+), 4 deletions(-)
41
42 diff --git a/glep-0076.rst b/glep-0076.rst
43 index 4aa5ee5..faa760d 100644
44 --- a/glep-0076.rst
45 +++ b/glep-0076.rst
46 @@ -8,10 +8,11 @@ Author: Richard Freeman <rich0@g.o>,
47 Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o>
48 Type: Informational
49 Status: Active
50 -Version: 1.1
51 +Version: 1.2
52 Created: 2013-04-23
53 -Last-Modified: 2018-12-09
54 -Post-History: 2018-06-10, 2018-06-19, 2018-08-31, 2018-09-26
55 +Last-Modified: 2021-07-28
56 +Post-History: 2018-06-10, 2018-06-19, 2018-08-31, 2018-09-26,
57 + 2021-07-28
58 Content-Type: text/x-rst
59 ---
60
61 @@ -138,7 +139,10 @@ the Certificate of Origin by adding ::
62
63 to the commit message as a separate line. The sign-off must contain
64 the committer's legal name as a natural person, i.e., the name that
65 -would appear in a government issued document.
66 +would appear in a government issued document. It's strongly encouraged
67 +that the original contribution author also adds their sign-off, to at
68 +least indicate they are aware of this GLEP. But it's required only
69 +from the committer.
70
71 The following is the current Gentoo Certificate of Origin, revision 1:
72
73 @@ -301,6 +305,9 @@ iv. The original point (d) has been transformed into a stand-alone
74 v. The term "open source" has been replaced by "free software"
75 throughout.
76
77 +vi. Clarify that a sign-off is only strictly required from the
78 + committer, not from the author.
79 +
80 The new point was deemed necessary to allow committing license files
81 into the Gentoo repository, since those files usually do not permit
82 modification. It has been established that adding a clear provision
83 --
84 2.31.1