From: James Le Cuirot <chewi@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] [RFC] CoC change to encourage clear communication
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2020 21:27:19
1 On Wed, 16 Dec 2020 09:15:14 -0800
2 Alec Warner <antarus@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Wed, Dec 16, 2020 at 1:58 AM David Seifert <soap@g.o> wrote:
5 > >
6 > > On Wed, 2020-12-16 at 09:23 +0000, James Le Cuirot wrote:
7 > > > I can certainly appreciate the benefits of this as I just haven't had
8 > > > the time to read most of the recent... uh... discussions. However, the
9 > > > idea of enforcing something like this doesn't bear thinking about. It
10 > > > reminds me way too much of 1984's Newspeak. If we're not going to
11 > > > enforce it then there seems little point in including it. The most
12 > > > verbose posters are unlikely to cut down just because we asked them
13 > > > nicely.
14 > >
15 > > https://www.debian.org/code_of_conduct
16 > >
17 > > The debian code of conduct has a section called "Try to be concise".
18 > > Would you really consider the Debian CoC Newspeak?
19 >
20 > I think the concern is that sometimes the CoC is wielded as a cudgel: e.g.
21 >
22 > "Be concise or I will ban you from the ML"
23 >
24 > This is different than as a *principle* or a *guideline*. I think its
25 > fine to say "We in Gentoo have a principle to be concise." This means
26 > when someone posts a very long post you can simply reply
27 >
28 > "Hi, Gentoo has a principle of concision, please try to apply that to
29 > your posts in future; I'm not going to respond to long messages."
30 >
31 > We have similar principles for code reviews (e..g don't send me a 1000
32 > LoC review, send me 4 250 line ones broken apart so I can understand
33 > the changes.) It doesn't mean one can't send big reviews, but it means
34 > that when I get a 1000 LoC code review..the first thing I'm gonna do
35 > is tell the author "please break this up" and then the review goes to
36 > the bottom of my priority list.
37
38 Agreed and I think the key words in Debian's case are "Try to". If
39 enforcement is not the intention here and it's worded appropriately then
40 I don't have a problem with including it merely as a guideline.
43 James Le Cuirot (chewi)
44 Gentoo Linux Developer