From: Marek Szuba <marecki@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for public condemnation of Russian invasion in Ukraine
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2022 11:01:08
1 On 2022-03-09 00:21, Andriy Utkin wrote:
2
3 > I suggest to not leave it that way, and at very least to make a public
4 > statement condemning this aggressive war. I am happy to contribute to
5 > the draft but I'd like to first hear what others think, so that whatever
6 > statement we get, if any, is actually a reflection of our consensus, not
7 > my soapbox speech.
8
9 I was going to comment here about FOSS projects in general fall
10 somewhere between individuals and formal organisations, how even in case
11 of Gentoo it is not entirely clear to me whether the Council's mandate
12 to decide on global Gentoo issues actually extends to it being
13 considered a representation of Gentoo community, how... Except none of
14 this really matters. Please draft a statement and ask the Council to
15 consider it ASAP - technically speaking our next meeting is THIS SUNDAY,
16 even if matters I am not at liberty to discuss here have resulted in
17 thee having been no usual call for agenda items or the publication of
18 the agenda itself. We might have to make the voting secret but I doubt
19 anyone will actually prevent the vote itself from happening... While I
20 do get mgorny's point, recent decisions within e.g. the
21 nuclear-and-particle-physics community (which, I should remind you all,
22 managed to stay apolitical for much of the Cold War and in fact did a
23 rather splendid job allowing for some levels of communication, and even
24 collaboration, between the two blocs to be continuously maintained) show
25 that we are now, regrettably, beyond still being able to have the luxury
26 of "staying out of it".
27
28 > I also would like to encourage any ideas of how Gentoo could possibly
29 > take any reasonable action.
30
31 That has already been touched upon by the others in this thread so I'll
32 keep it brief: there simply aren't many actions we can take. Some FOSS
33 projects have in the near past attempted to include various forms
34 "cannot be used for evil" clauses in their respective licensing
35 agreements - with the most common result being said licences no longer
36 being recognised as FOSS.
39 Marecki